X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saucy install on ancient Toshiba Satellite Celeron M lappy

Hi
    Well, not much to say.

The actual install was quick, 12 minutes I think.

I had to do the usuual stuff, add Medibuntu repos, add Flash etc.

However....

Muon was worthless as usual.

It simply did not work.

I used terminal to install Synaptic and the used Synaptic to install YAWP and THEN Muon worked which has been par for the course in my somewhat limited experience.

I know, there are tons of people that extoll the merits of Muon and that it is the future and etc. but...well I've never had it work from the get go and even then it messes up updates on my pervious installs.

YAWP, from Synaptic, does indeed work handily. I might mention that I had to enter the zip code of the actual nearby airport, my town's zip code did not work. I used Accuweather.

The only other thing that has happened, and I think the problem is that of the lappy, not Kubuntu is that three of the several restarts hung at choosing manual setup or multiboot setup, which are Phoenix bios things and not really related to Kubuntu.

So.... I think I would actually say that Saucy....really IS...

woodimpressedsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I've never had much problems with muon but I must admit I rarely use it. I mostly use command line apt and aptitude, which is all muon/synaptic are a frond end for anyway.

I really dislike the way the muon UI is going to, its being custome themed and breaking all the KDE UI stds in 4.11, hate that.

Comment

Ive never had a problem with any Moun package except the Update Manager. Sometimes when I install things through Muon, the Update Manager thinks there is a new version of Kubuntu. One reason you might be having problems with it, woodsmoke, is that it is resource heavy, especially when it first loads.

As to the YAWP comments, I have no idea why those made it into this thread as well. Installing and setting up yawp is extremely easy. (Why put in a zip code when you could type the name of the city??)

Comment

what the funk the yawp comment is a crossover from another ongoing thread.

and I had not thought of muon in that particular manner. I will. cogitate on that and watch.

I tried name of city and got nothing.

woodcogitatingsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

YAWP continues to run well.

Hi
          I decided to chronicle my Saucy install by reporting what was necessary as I encountered the situations.

Which is probably what a new person to Linux would do, or not! lol

Tomorrow I will be “doing a welcome table” for my class at the college, so I needed to be able to play a video from a group with which I am voounteering.

The video on youtube is in .flv format.

I looked in Firefox and found that I did not have a downloader so I searched and found videodownloader. I installed that.

I downloaded the video but a thumbnail would not display in the folder view so I had to KNOW that I needed to download a “thumbnailer”.

In Synaptic I searched for “thumbnailer preview”.

From experience I knew that I should install ffmpeg for a converter for .flv to mpeg, knowing that the converter doesn't work but that is ok, because I also knew that I needed to install ffmpeg thumbnailer.

When I clicked the video it popped an interactive menu for me to choose a player and I tried DragonPlayer, the default, provided, player.

However, DragonPlayer popped a message about installing codecs, etc. so I said yes, they installed.

Tried the video again, but it popped that I needed mpeg-4 and libav4, the system searched, but could not find the apps.

So I did a search on FF and found this page, and downloaded libmpeg2-4 .deb.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...ase/libmpeg2-4

I clicked the .deb file and it asked to run or download. I downloaded. Then clicked it and it asked for a password to install it, and it did install.

The video now provides a thumbnail in the folder widget.

Again upon clicking the video it popped the menu, I chose Dragon Player and the video did indeed play.

As a side note: there is a box to tick to have Dragon Player, or any other player one might install to be the default.

NOTE: I wrote “from experience” for any people that are new to Linux to show how I knew for what to search.

If a new person to Linux is reading this and needs more help, please so post at the forum.

I am typing this on LibreOffice Writer which is the default, provided, word processor.

woodsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 14, 2013, 10:07 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I must, sadly, report that FF 23 on Saucy, exhibits part of the same behaviour with Blackboard that occurs with Raring.

However, in this case, the very front page does not render in the left column, BUT when any of the buttons for subsections are clicked the rest of BB does render correctly.

The problem seems with FF trying to interact with software, which, I think, deep down in my conspiratorial central nervious system....is because, possibly, BB updates "semi-regularly" with new versions of some kind of "propriety" third party software which forces people to use....possibly IE? Don't know, just a thought! lol

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X