Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has DEB Hell Reared its Ugly Head Again!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had a similar issue on my saucy machine. i used dpkg and apt-get remove to remove kamera libgphoto2.6 and 2.2 and just kept working back untill i had no more problems then i just reinstalled the kde-full package (replacing kamera and libsane that were stuck form the libgphoto broken install). maybe this will help you.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      i had a similar issue on my saucy machine. i used dpkg and apt-get remove to remove kamera libgphoto2.6 and 2.2 and just kept working back untill i had no more problems then i just reinstalled the kde-full package (replacing kamera and libsane that were stuck form the libgphoto broken install). maybe this will help you.
      Thanks for the suggestion. I was originally looking for 2.6 and it should have been 2-6 and 2-2. When I replaced the packages I still had problems as I was using Muon and the error is shown in the attached graph.

I am wondering how I should deal with this problem.
      Attached Files

Comment

remove libsane as well.. i had to remove several packages (kamera and libsane kde-full kde-multimedia maybe a few more) to resolve the install problems then i reinstalled the kde-full package . i do not use google earth so idk if that will work but all the kde stuff reinstalled correctly.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hm, it appears you're having more dependency problems than just the libgphoto stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
            remove libsane as well.. i had to remove several packages (kamera and libsane kde-full kde-multimedia maybe a few more) to resolve the install problems then i reinstalled the kde-full package . i do not use google earth so idk if that will work but all the kde stuff reinstalled correctly.
            Because I would have to do so much removing and installation, I decided to install the latest build which was for the 7th August. To my surprise the resultant system would not boot. It stopped at a Grub prompt. I tried multiple installation options but nothing worked. In the end, after much frustration, I decided to make a startup disk using Kubuntu 13.04. When I tried to install this, I got an error message The 'grug-efi' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

So I was faced with a UEFI problem and I did not want to reformat my disk and loose all my files!!!!! In the end, after much searching on the Internet, I decided to install Kubuntu 13.10 on my laptop SSD and I used the installation system to install and run a boot repair package and selected the default options. I then was given a series of four different terminal commands to be performed during this process before it would finished.

After this, I got my system to boot correctly and I have installed most of my packages - no luck with Google Earth. Even the bin file version does not work.

So I am now out of DEB Hell after having a very harrowing time to get my system back on air and I can now start to enjoy my holiday and communicate with friends .

Comment

Might I encourage you to ditch GRUB completely and switch to rEFInd? It is so vastly superior in every possible dimension imaginable, and then some. rEFInd works in exactly the same way GRUB doesn't. Of course, this advice applies only if you have a UEFI-based PC.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Might I encourage you to ditch GRUB completely and switch to rEFInd? It is so vastly superior in every possible dimension imaginable, and then some. rEFInd works in exactly the same way GRUB doesn't. Of course, this advice applies only if you have a UEFI-based PC.
                Thanks for letting me know about this. I found these details worthwhile. For the moment, as I only have one operating system to deal with, I will leave my system as is. However, when I add another operating system on a USB 3.0 Stick, I will consider using it.

I am not sure how many other people have been confronted with the problems that I had with UEFI. I had thought that this had been solved with Kubuntu 13.10 and this is the first time that I had experienced this problem. If the objective is to have widespread installation of Kubuntu, the UEFI boot problem has to be solved without putting the novice installer through HELL.

Comment

UEFI is so new and different that it's bound to create loads of confusion. I have found that the more crufty knowledge I can let go, the easier it is to subsume UEFI-ness into my very soul. I would submit that the same must be true of bootloaders. GRUB is largely what it is because the history of bootloaders and boot managers is littered with half-assery. rEFInd is a clean break for a clean future.

omfg, I have got to stop reading marketing literature!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    GRUB is largely what it is because the history of bootloaders and boot managers is littered with half-assery.
                    Thanks for making my coffee go up my nose, lol, but yeah, I would have to agree with this. On the flipside, I am very relieved the UEFI situation will be well under control by the time I build my next monstrosity. Btw, I miss the cheesy grin smiley.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                      Btw, I miss the cheesy grin smiley.
                      It, as well as all your favorites, are still here:

Just click on the More button or type the shortcut for them. The cheesy grin shortcut is a semi-colon+D
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X