Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After the most recent update of KDE to 4.10.5 my clock broke!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the most recent update of KDE to 4.10.5 my clock broke!

When I updated to KDE 4.10.5 the time displayed in the system tray advanced 5 hours to UTC time. KDE's time zone setting was showing "Chicago", which is correct.

date -u showed that the hardware clock was set correctly but the system clock was not.

Changing the time using systemsettings via the system tray worked only temporarily, and gave errors. Using
    kdesudo systemsettings
    gave the same errors.

Using
    sudo hwclock -s
    worked only temporarily.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    "fixed" the problem. The clock setting in the KDE system tray shows the correct CDT, and it remains on boot up.
    However
    date -u
    now shows
    Mon Jul 15 15:01:58 UTC 2013
    but
    sudo hwclock -r
    shows
    Mon 15 Jul 2013 05:02:03 AM CDT -0.531833 seconds

A ten hour gap!

But, I'm happy. File timestamps use the time showing in the KDE clock. And, before this incident, I never concerned myself with the hardware or system clock time as long as the time my desktop showed me was the correct time. KDE still needs to fix its clock setting tool in systemsettings.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Just a side note: per Kubicle's suggestion I ran "sudo hwclock -w" and set the hwclock to local time.
    "date -u" still shows UTC time. So, given the CDST time zone my system time should continue to display local time and the kernel time UTC.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 16, 2013, 06:21 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To set the hour in Kubuntu 13.04 was driving me crazy .
      Thank you very much for post this!

Comment

Working...
      X