This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
    Current dev and last stable release are always the priority, everything else is optional due to limited man power, however we have to start somewhere and starting with the final release for Precise and Quantal is a bit too late IMHO. I usually run the automated script and make relevant adjustments to the script so that it becomes easier with every release to build for older versions. Helps us catch packaging issues early on so that we can fix them till the final release.
    Thank you and the rest of the Kubuntu Development team for all the work you do. We who use and support the use of Kubuntu Linux are the beneficiaries of your time, talent, and commitment.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

4.11 (release) packages are currently coming in for saucy, with the KDE SC 4.11 LTR release expected today, August 14th.

Comment

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/08/13...el.html#t20:37
        Riddell looks like sources are available http://download.kde.org/stable/4.11.0/src/ 20:37
        Riddell any objections to uploading 4.11 tonight to saucy? 20:38
        https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sa...gust/date.html
        [ubuntu/saucy-proposed] kde4libs 4:4.11.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.10~ppa1 (Accepted) Jonathan Riddell
        [ubuntu/saucy-proposed] kdepimlibs 4:4.11.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.10~ppa1 (Accepted) Jonathan Riddell
        [ubuntu/saucy-proposed] libkcddb 4:4.11.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.10~ppa1 (Accepted) Jonathan Riddell

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/08/14...el.html#t02:10
        Riddell 4.11 copied to raring backports PPA 02:10
        “Package Archives for Kubuntu” team - https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa -> https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports
        Changelog
        kde-baseapps (4:4.11.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1) raring; urgency=low

* raring backport
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

I've been very highly anticipating 4.11 because it finally fixes kwin tearing on intel. So 4.11 is already in kubuntu 13.04 backports, its safe for me to install on raring and get all the final packages?

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            So 4.11 is already in kubuntu 13.04 backports, its safe for me to install on raring and get all the final packages?
            I updated to 4.11 on Raring about 5 hours ago. Zero problems. But I have an Nvidia card (nouveau drivers) not Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
              Regarding RC2 packages, we're currently working on Saucy, then we will start backporting to Raring, Quantal and Precise. Though supporting 4 releases is a bit painful and takes time, I'm thinking of dropping Quantal if there's not much of a usecase for it.
              I just wanted to to chime in and say that I really hope you all find time to package KDE SC 4.11 for Quantal. Given Quantal will be supported until the next LTS (14.04), it's what I'm sticking with, and also what I've been focusing all of my own packaging efforts on. Furthermore, it's the release that I've installed on all of my friends'/family members' computers. I understand that time and manpower is limited, but I would be most appreciative if you're able to backport 4.11 to Quantal. In any case, many thanks for your time. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Comment

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/08/14...el.html#t07:47
                Riddell !testers | 4.11 for raring in kubuntu-ppa/backports 07:47
                shadeslayer backports? I'm testing 4.11 for precise from ninjas 07:47
                Riddell that's good too, precise is still in ninjas 07:48
                shadeslayer ack 07:48
                Riddell I've not tested that at all 07:48
                shadeslayer waiting for apt to finish 07:48
                shadeslayer Riddell: Quantal: 07:49
                shadeslayer I'm not interested in Quantal - jriddell 07:49
                shadeslayer Drop Quantal and only support Raring / Precise then? This needs to be properly communicated via kubuntu.org IMHO 07:49
                Riddell that's my opinion 07:56
                Riddell and I'm sticking to it 07:56
                shadeslayer yes, but I'm not particularly keen on supporting Quantal as well :P 07:57
                shadeslayer so we should put an announcement saying "Switch to Precise / Raring " 07:57
                Riddell yep 07:58
                A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

So just to make sure I understand correctly, 4.11 will *not* be backported to Quantal? With all due respect, this seems like an odd decision, given Raring will stop being supported *before* Quantal.

Comment

Awesome, I took the plunge and updated too, working great! Thanks for the developers quick work getting this into backports

Comment

It makes sense because Precise (12.04) is the LTS, not Quantal.

Comment

Just updated to 4.11. So far so good. Added the LibreOffice ppa and updated to 4.1 at the same time. Thats looking good too...I might finally be able to get rid of Gnumeric for spread sheets.

Comment

I'd like to thank the packagers again for getting this into backports so quick! Kubuntu is a very underrated KDE distro, no other distro gets a stable major KDE update available so quick! Been using it all day with 4.11 from backports and everything is working flawlessly The KDE devs did a great job with this release, very stable and fast, Haven't noticed any regressions.

Comment

I updated to 4.11 on my 12.04 Precise installation about three hours ago and it is running nicely. I took advantage of the OpenGL3.1 composite with the raster graphics system.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A couple oddities for me...

1. Neither the APT nor the Aptitude solver could figure out how to handle updated dependencies for KAlgebra. I had to allow it to be removed, and then I reinstalled it.

2. My Akonadi database didn't survive. It kept causing KMail to crash. I had to delete and recreate all of them.

Comment

WOW! Just WOW! :shock:

The KDE 4.11 release is FAASSSTTT!
                                On the average, everything on my desktop is running about 2X faster. I now need a seat belt when running Stellarium. Minecraft shows 60 fps and that's while running the 1.6.2 server as well.

I really love the transparent panel! It no longer detracts from my Dolphins desktop image.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X