Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet, works with firefox, terminal, but not KDE applets, or such.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet, works with firefox, terminal, but not KDE applets, or such.

The internet works on Firefox and such, I can sudo apt-get update and such, that all works. The problem is, the KDE applets that use internet won't work, such at the weather ones. Rekonq, when I type a url, stops in the progresss bar, in doesn't load the page. I tryed install a second lang, and it stops after 3% and does not continue after any amount of time.. Is there anyway to fix this??

also, nothing will install using the Muon Software center..it starts to and just stops..and shows the install botton again.

Do you have the Repair Kubuntu option in your boot menu. If so, try to repair. Download Synaptic package manager (sudo apt-get install synaptic) without the brackets. If it acts the same as Muon, it sounds like a KDE problem. Lots of people have read your post without an answer. Another thing I would try is renaming kde to kdeold and rebooting. You would have a fresh desktop and probably fix the problem. I am NOT the most knowledgeable person to help you, but you don't seem to be getting any help otherwise.

These things are advice I have taken that has worked in the past. Perhaps if you included the version of Kubuntu and KDE and perhaps your equipment, the additional information will trigger something in the mind of someone. I will keep thinking about it and get back to you if I think of anything else you can try.

If your computer isn't too old and can handle Kubuntu 12.10, it is a very stable distribution. Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a newer Operating System. I am pretty sure the new installation would solve your problems. Of course it requires a lot of time in re-configuring everything, but a solution that would probably work. I don't know your experience level, but if you decide to do that, lots of people will be able to help you. I didn't notice how long you have been waiting for help, but re-installation and re-configuration, updates and upgrades can be done in just part of a day. It may be the faster and better solution. Sorry I cannot better help you

Comment

I am running Kubuntu 13.04? 32-bit, and how do I do that kde remaming thing?

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      Do you have the Repair Kubuntu option in your boot menu. If so, try to repair. Download Synaptic package manager (sudo apt-get install synaptic) without the brackets. If it acts the same as Muon, it sounds like a KDE problem. Lots of people have read your post without an answer. Another thing I would try is renaming kde to kdeold and rebooting. You would have a fresh desktop and probably fix the problem. I am NOT the most knowledgeable person to help you, but you don't seem to be getting any help otherwise.

These things are advice I have taken that has worked in the past. Perhaps if you included the version of Kubuntu and KDE and perhaps your equipment, the additional information will trigger something in the mind of someone. I will keep thinking about it and get back to you if I think of anything else you can try.

If your computer isn't too old and can handle Kubuntu 12.10, it is a very stable distribution. Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a newer Operating System. I am pretty sure the new installation would solve your problems. Of course it requires a lot of time in re-configuring everything, but a solution that would probably work. I don't know your experience level, but if you decide to do that, lots of people will be able to help you. I didn't notice how long you have been waiting for help, but re-installation and re-configuration, updates and upgrades can be done in just part of a day. It may be the faster and better solution. Sorry I cannot better help you

Comment

Originally posted by myersg View Post
        I am running Kubuntu 13.04? 32-bit, and how do I do that kde remaming thing?
        It is not 'remaming' it is 'renaming'. I am apprehensive to continue the advice, because in the 'root' directories, there are several different KDE folders in different directories. If you rename the wrong one, you may cause a problem. It would be the main "KDE" or application folder. Let us say that it is currently named, .kde. You would right-click on .kde and select rename. Then type in .kdeold. That way the folder remains in your computer but doesn't become lost or changed permanently. Then you restart the computer. because you changed the name, the computer will create a new .kde folder, hopefully uncorrupted. If things now work, you have fixed the problem. You can leave the .kdeold folder; it won't hurt anything, but if the new ..kde works, you might want to delete the old folder. That way if you have another problem sometime in the future that requires replacing the .kde application, you won't rename the 'old' file and change to another corrupted .kde.

I am hoping that bringing this back to the starting point of the postings, another more instructed person can help you with precise instructions. I plant the idea, they provide the cure.

After I post this reply, I will go take a look in the root directory and see if I can provide a more sure solution. I wish I were a bit smarter; I think I am right, but am not positive. Changing root entries is usually dangerous. I will try to keep an eye on this post today. If I become sure of my recommendations, I will let you know that it is safe to try. Hopefully a smarter helper will join in.

Comment

ok, I did sdo dolphin in the terminal to get to the root and to look for the kde folder. there is nothing in my /root folder.

I am new to kde for the most part.. so could you give me exact step by step? thanks.

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          It is not 'remaming' it is 'renaming'. I am apprehensive to continue the advice, because in the 'root' directories, there are several different KDE folders in different directories. If you rename the wrong one, you may cause a problem. It would be the main "KDE" or application folder. Let us say that it is currently named, .kde. You would right-click on .kde and select rename. Then type in .kdeold. That way the folder remains in your computer but doesn't become lost or changed permanently. Then you restart the computer. because you changed the name, the computer will create a new .kde folder, hopefully uncorrupted. If things now work, you have fixed the problem. You can leave the .kdeold folder; it won't hurt anything, but if the new ..kde works, you might want to delete the old folder. That way if you have another problem sometime in the future that requires replacing the .kde application, you won't rename the 'old' file and change to another corrupted .kde.

I am hoping that bringing this back to the starting point of the postings, another more instructed person can help you with precise instructions. I plant the idea, they provide the cure.

After I post this reply, I will go take a look in the root directory and see if I can provide a more sure solution. I wish I were a bit smarter; I think I am right, but am not positive. Changing root entries is usually dangerous. I will try to keep an eye on this post today. If I become sure of my recommendations, I will let you know that it is safe to try. Hopefully a smarter helper will join in.

Comment

I just took a look in the Root directory. I am not confident in looking in there. I tried to find a hidden folder named '.kde'; I think that is the one. I couldn't find it, so things may have changed in later versions of Kubuntu. I found KDE4, but it did not contain what I expected.

Hopefully someone with more knowhow will enter the discussion and tell you how to find that folder. Other than that, I wouldn't fool with the problem forever. No one seems to be able to help. It is a tough decision to make, but the next best solution I have is to reinstall Kubuntu 13.04. Lots of work, but that I am able to help you with. Depending on your time, waiting another day may be best. If not, and since no one else is attempting to help, re-install may be the next best solution.

How much of a rookie are you? And, how powerful is your computer? Just meeting the basic requirements to use an operating system isn't always using the right operating system for your computer. I have an 8 core AMD processor with 16GB very fast memory, a 2gb video card and an SSD running the OS. There isn't anything Kubuntu can throw out that my system can't easily handle. Nonetheless, if I had an old computer that wasn't very fast, and didn't have much memory, I would be hesitant in running Kubuntu 13.04. I am not sure, but I think that sometimes things don't work if they are overworking a system. In any event, I will try to keep informed and will help more if things change. Best of luck. Don't give up. Linux is a superior OS and the answer to your problem is out there. Just have to find the right person. Steve Riley could solve your problem in an instant, probably, if he were to read this post. He is a very smart guy.

Have you tried the 'KDE Forum', your problem sounds like a KDE problem. The monitors of that forum may be available to your problem.
            Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 06, 2013, 02:55 PM. Reason: additional idea

Comment

Working...
            X