This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-installation Icon on desktop

The installation procedure was very nice, but after installation we do not see any information regarding to first login and this is so blank for my point of view.

For example, there may be a link to the Kubuntu Documentation for beginners or at least a tutorial app can be written to show the new user how to find things etc. considering they are new.

A bit late now, but if you are 'new' to Linux/Kubuntu, starting with a development release isn't what most would recommend. Or is your statement made 'in general' for others? What is your experience level?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      A bit late now, but if you are 'new' to Linux/Kubuntu, starting with a development release isn't what most would recommend. Or is your statement made 'in general' for others? What is your experience level?
      Umm, I am a beginner user in Linux actually. Never wrote an app for Linux, but I am very good at documentation, so I could help the developers about what to include for first start-up tutorial...

EDIT: My suggestion was for general releases...

Comment

The idea of even a 'Read Me' file/link on the Desktop has been suggested by many (me included), but the developers don't feel that is what they need/want to do. Most people who consider trying Linux do at least some basic research first, looking for forums about the distribution they are interested in trying, and asking questions. That's what I did, and found this forum back in 2007. I was that 'newbie' back then, and this forum and it's members were, and are, the reason I'm 100% Linux and continue with Kubuntu.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by wakeup View Post
          For example, there may be a link to the Kubuntu Documentation for beginners or at least a tutorial app can be written to show the new user how to find things etc. considering they are new.
          There's been some discussion about this. It's a good idea. Not sure if it'll arrive for 13.04, however.

Comment

Umm, I am a beginner user in Linux actually. Never wrote an app for Linux, but I am very good at documentation, so I could help the developers about what to include for first start-up tutorial...

EDIT: My suggestion was for general releases...
            I did start to create an introduction widget, but I did not have enough time/commitment to finish it or design it properly

If you want to see something like this the best way is to get involved in a project (existing one, or start a new one). You don't have to be a coder to do this, you can start by designing the application and writing the content to go inside it. My widget is written purely in QML/Javascript so is very easy to understand and contribute to if you wish (QML is designed for designers more then coders so is very easy to get into). I am willing to help you with this is you want, but I don't have the time to be the main maintainer for this project any more (there are other things I want to see in KDE more then this currently).

This is the original thread about it, there was a lot of interest in it, but no was stepped up to help with the content or coding beyond what is in there so the project stagnated as I am not the best designer/writer which this needs more then a good coder
            Last edited by james147; Jan 21, 2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              The idea of even a 'Read Me' file/link on the Desktop has been suggested by many (me included), but the developers don't feel that is what they need/want to do. Most people who consider trying Linux do at least some basic research first, looking for forums about the distribution they are interested in trying, and asking questions. That's what I did, and found this forum back in 2007. I was that 'newbie' back then, and this forum and it's members were, and are, the reason I'm 100% Linux and continue with Kubuntu.
              Actually you're right. It is like Custom ROMs in Androids. We check which is more stable etc. then decide. But this is because we want to do advanced things like rooting. I don't think most of the users root their mobiles to get more benefit.

Regarding to Linux (I think), it is free for all users, including newbies and advanced computer users. So if a newbie user sees a screenshot of a OS, he may think it is worth trying. Since installation is simple enough, they would know about the basic usage like you said. At least a fancy readme with animations or similar. As you know, KDE is first developed for a girlfriend for easy usage . Why not make it simpler or more understandable?

As I remember, openSuse was showing a welcome screen which allows to see the basic documentation and some links.

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              I did start to create an introduction widget, but I did not have enough time/commitment to finish it or design it properly

If you want to see something like this the best way is to get involved in a project (existing one, or start a new one). You don't have to be a coder to do this, you can start by designing the application and writing the content to go inside it. My widget is written purely in QML/Javascript so is very easy to understand and contribute to if you wish (QML is designed for designers more then coders so is very easy to get into). I am willing to help you with this is you want, but I don't have the time to be the main maintainer for this project any more (there are other things I want to see in KDE more then this currently).

This is the original thread about it, there was a lot of interest in it, but no was stepped up to help with the content or coding beyond what is in there so the project stagnated as I am not the best designer/writer which this needs more then a good coder
              I am really interested in this. As soon as I finish the translations for Oneiric, I may first try to understand, then improve it. I hope my translations will be included in 13.04 since none of the Kubuntu documentation was Turkish except now...

Comment

As soon as I finish the translations for Oneiric, I may first try to understand, then improve it. I hope my translations will be included in 13.04 since none of the Kubuntu documentation was Turkish except now...
                Send my a ping when you are about to start and I can help you get into it.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                  Send my a ping when you are about to start and I can help you get into it.

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed the applet, but when I try to run it I get the following message.

Code:
                  volkan@volkan-pc:~/İndirilenler/intro-widget-master$ plasmoidviewer .
                  'plasmoidviewer' is not installed. Install by typing
                  sudo apt-get install kde-workspace-bin
                  When I type this, it says that I already had this package and does nothing.

Do you have any idea?

Comment

What version of kde are you running?

Comment

I am running 4.10

Comment

Sorry for the long delay, plasmoidviewer was removed from the core kde in 4.10 and is now available in the plasmate repo but you can also run it with plasma-windowed

Comment

Hello,

now I succeded in installing, but could not run using plasma-windowed. please see the command line output below.

Also i found it in Widgets list and added by dragging into desktop, but only empty screen is shown.

http://s3.postimage.org/u2188sa4h/plasmoid.png

Comment

That sounds like it is not installed correctly, those warnings in plasma-windowed are safe to ignore, I get them as well and the widget works fine here. I ran it as follows:

Code:
                            $ git clone git://github.com/james147/intro-widget.git
                            $ plasma-windowed intro-widget
                            or
                            Code:
                            $ git clone git://github.com/james147/intro-widget.git
                            $ cd intro-widget
                            $ plasma-windowed .

Comment

Now working! Thanks .

Do you know if we can execute some commands in this such as launching Kickoff Menu etc? or can we detect if user has clicked on Kick off for example?

Comment

Working...
                              X