X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia: this driver is activated but not in use

Hi,

I installed kubuntu 12.10 yesterday and i am new to linux. I have nvidia geforce video card in my laptop. I installed nvidia driver from "additional drivers" option in kubuntu. After installing nvidia driver i restarted computer and during boot it shows the pic of nvidia as well. But problem is that when i check the "additional drivers" utility it says:

"this driver is activated but not in use"

I have searched over the internet but didnt find any useful info. Can anybody help me to fix it? Is it possible that it is simply a bug and actually nvidia driver is installed and running.

Any help would be of great value.

Does your BIOS have the ability to either select which chip you want active or disable the Intel chip?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I dont think so.

Comment

First off, exactly what model is your nvidia geforce card? That might help everyone have more ideas.

Second, what does it state under "KInfocenter -> Graphical Information -> OpenGL -> OpenGL/ES version"? This will tell you what graphics driver is currently in use by your system. BTW, KInfocenter can be found in the menu under "Applications -> System".
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Hi benny. My Nvidia card is GeForce GT 420M and i attached the snapshot of "KInfocenter -> Graphical Information -> OpenGL -> OpenGL/ES version".
          Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	640228

What you think?

Comment

There must be a bug with Jockey (additional drivers) stating your driver is inactive then. According to your screen shot it appears that your system does have the proprietary nvidia driver installed and is currently using it (version 310.14). If it wasn't using the nvidia driver than the "OpenGL -> Driver" information would have Xorg or Mesa or Nouveau listed throughout instead of NVIDIA. Have you tried anything the requires 3D?
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Another way to tease some output:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

glxinfo | egrep 'vendor|version'

Comment

Hi guys thanks for th support i really appreciate it.

Beny i tried google earth today and i think 3D is working.

Steve this was the output of what commands you told me.

$ glxinfo | egrep 'vendor|version'
                server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                server glx version string: 1.4
                client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                client glx version string: 1.4
                GLX version: 1.4
                OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.14
                OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Comment

Well, you definitely are running the nVidia binary blob. I'm not sure what's wrong with your Jockey. I don't use that particular utility myself.

Comment

I use jockey and also get the "this driver is activated but not in use" message although I am using Nvidia 304.51.

I am sure this is a bug in Jockey as it has been happening as long as I can remember with previous versions of Kbuntu

Comment

Working...
                    X