Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nepomuk Search didn't find all files by content.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepomuk Search didn't find all files by content.

Hello, i need your help.
    Just updated to Kubuntu 12.10 from 12.04 and have troubles with nepomuk.
    I spend some time to allow nepomuk to index all my files, but when i'm trying to search file by content it doesn't show all entries. Old 12.04 always showed all suitable files (i think it didnt used nepomuk)

How can i solve it? Any help, please.

I choose not to use Nepomuk. Recoll is so much better, and once the index is built, it is blazingly fast and accurate. Recoll is in the standard repositories.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i want to use built-in-dolphin search engine.
      is there are way to disable nepumuk, then?
      12.04 havent indexing and always searched manually and it was accurate.

Comment

if there are no solution i will continue use mc =)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I choose not to use Nepomuk. Recoll is so much better, and once the index is built, it is blazingly fast and accurate. Recoll is in the standard repositories.
          Thanks Snowhog, I'll give this one a try.
          Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by coderus View Post
            i want to use built-in-dolphin search engine.
            is there are way to disable nepumuk, then?
            12.04 havent indexing and always searched manually and it was accurate.
            K Menu > System Settings > Desktop Search
            Uncheck Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop and click Apply.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

+1 for Recoll, content based search that actually works really well. would be interesting to see it integrated at a deep level in qt-razor.

Its a damning indictment of nepomuk that after all this time its still a buggy unreliable inaccurate mess - one of the worst things to happen to KDE4 and still creating a large amount of grief. I wonder if it could be replaced?

Comment

Okay. My question is solved. Just disabled nepomuk and now i'm happy. Thanks =)

Comment

For Advanced Searching Recoll is #1 by a substantial margin. I will not argue that point and it does offer a nice Qt gui as well as a well designed Krunner runner.

However; Nepomuk, isn't just bad news. Its designed around semantic searching which is takes some getting used to. You need to look at context and content combined. In respect to context, Nepomuk does an outstanding job, but when it comes to content it is a bit lacking. When set-up its surprisingly powerful and versatile but has no good gui for it (Nepoogle is fantastic but it isn't standard issue), Kfind doesn't use nepomuk and dolphin only gives access to a subset of the features available. If it were better integrated into the desktop; it would make a big difference to the user experience.

I think what people should actually pick on is Strigi. Strigi is the file indexer which Nepomuk relies on. Strigi is being reworked and massively improved which should hopefully yield a much better experience in the near future. Also most nNpomuk troubles are the result of upgrades. I have no clue why but when ever I upgrade my system by a major kde version (e.g. 4.8 to 4.9) then I run into issues with Nepomuk and Akonadi. Deleting the caches and then setting it up from scratch again yields a perfectly functioning desktop. I wish that upgrades went flawless but they just don't.

For basic searching, tags, ratings, usage patterns etc then Nepomuk along with Strigi are more than adequate. A power user should only ever consider Recoll though because nothing comes close. I really just don't want people to see Nepomuk as evil just as they shouldn't do the same for Akonadi. When they are set-up and you understand their basic function/usage then you quickly realize the potential they have.

Sorry for the unnecessary half-rant.

Comment

K Menu > System Settings > Desktop Search
                    Uncheck Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop and click Apply.
                    What's the other way? I only have a kickoff (K) application launcher.
                    --
                    Intocabile

Comment

You can get to the System Settings utility via Kickoff > Applications > System > System Settings.

Or alternatively, hit ALT-F2 to bring up KRunner, and type in "system settings" (without quotes).
                      sigpic
                      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I knew that ... I'd just never noticed a "desktop search" doohickey before now
                        --
                        Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                          Deleting the caches and then setting it up from scratch again yields a perfectly functioning desktop. I wish that upgrades went flawless but they just don't.

For basic searching, tags, ratings, usage patterns etc then Nepomuk along with Strigi are more than adequate.
                          Until as you mention you have to delete the cache - bye bye to all your hard work tagging stuff. Same if you want to move to a different desktop.

Interesting waht you see re Strigi though. But I find it puzziling that there still isn't a decent search UI for Nepomuk, kinda of defeats the point of having it.

Comment

Isn't Nepomuk integrated into Dolphin? I only do light searching so Dolphin has always done a decent job for me. I'm going to take a look at Recoll since it has been mentioned here. Maybe I'm missing something. (I used to tell my Ex that a lot)
                            GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                            X