This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Making" a Driver Package

Good evening, All. I'm new to Kubuntu, and Linux as well. I'm definitely learning a ton and it's refreshing to work with an open source format (vs. Windows).

I played around with Ubuntu (12.04), and I was able to successfully "make" a driver for an external (USB-based) sound card (Mbox 2 Mini). However, I'm not able to accomplish the same thing with Kubuntu. The following is the output from the error that's occurring in the terminal:

Code:
    audiosyncrasy@audiosyncrasy:~/Downloads/mbox2-kernel$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build M=/home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
      CC [M]  /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/pcm.o
    /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/pcm.c: In function ‘snd_usb_pcm_check_knot’:
    /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/pcm.c:688:4: error: assignment of read-only location ‘*(subs->rate_list.list + (sizetype)((long unsigned int)count++ * 4ul))’
    In file included from /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/pcm.c:29:0:
    /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/pcm.c: At top level:
    /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/quirks.h:23:12: warning: ‘mbox2_skip_setting_quirk’ declared ‘static’ but never defined [-Wunused-function]
    /home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/quirks.h:26:12: warning: ‘snd_usb_mbox2_boot_quirk’ declared ‘static’ but never defined [-Wunused-function]
    make[2]: *** [/home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel/pcm.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/audiosyncrasy/Downloads/mbox2-kernel] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Thank you all, in advance, for your assistance!

A link to the driver might help here, the driver might possibly need patching for 12.10's kernels.

Comment

The website where it was originally hosted is down right now. So, I put a link on my site.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        A link to the driver might help here, the driver might possibly need patching for 12.10's kernels.
        I think you're correct, claydoh. When I compiled the driver before it was with Ubuntu 12.04, so I'm sure it's not playing nice with the new kernel headers.

How would I 'patch' it, though?

Comment

Thanks so much for the link to the bz2. With the Zamaudio server down I couldn't get moving forward at all with my Mbox 2.

The error when compiling on the 3.5 kernel was in pcm.c in a function that was clearly from the skeleton files. I found the same function in a newer version of pcm.c that and duplicated the fixes. Then it all compiled and worked on Ubuntu Studio 12.10.

Link to modified pcm.c

Hope

Comment

Do you have a Mbox 2 or Mbox 2 mini? Does it matter, I wonder. I am trying to make my Mbox2 work with a 3.6 kernel with limited success. The system recognizes the Mbox 2 but I can't record with Audacity.

Any words or wisdom?

Thanks
            Evert

Comment

Working...
            X