X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to shut down!

Hi,
    I am just after upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10. After the update, i right click on the desktop. choose "leave" then "turn off computer". I get to the grey screen with the kubuntu logo, at this point it seems to freeze, i just wait and wait and nothing happens, so i am unable to shutdown.
    If i choose "restart" then the shutdown half works fine.
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Over the past few weeks I have a couple of times experienced the same, I can't realy say what causes it.
    The temporary solution is to open a terminal (Konsole) and do:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    or to restart:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now

Comment

Do you experience the same behavior if you opt to shutdown through the K Menu instead?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,
        Snowhog, using the K menu to shut down gives the same result. I tried using konsole for the shut down " sudo shutdown -h now", it proceeded to shut down, this time showing me terminal output instead of a grey backround with logo. I had the same issue, the shutdown just stalls! Attached is a photo of what was on screen.
        Attached Files
        Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

I am experiencing something similar: The shutdown/reboot from the menu only offers to comply after the countdown clock has run out. I see a message to the effect that the system will shutdown/reboot after X seconds. There seems to be no way to avoid the annoying wait. I've also seen this behavior in the Alphas of Mandriva 2012 and ROSA 2012, so I wonder whether it's a KDE issue.

AMD dual core 6000+, 8 gigs RAM, ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4650 graphics

Comment

Over the last week or so this issue has almost disappeared on my system.
            I still can't think of a link/dependency to a certain program or operation but it seems recent upgrades have just about fixed he underlying problem.

Comment

Applied updates, and it's better. The logout and reboot work immediately. Shutdown, however, must wait 30 seconds, although I do have the option to suspend to RAM, as that option is shown and, if selected, it happens immediately.

Comment

About the 30 sec. delay, you do realise you can again click the Shut down computer button to make it immediate?

Comment

Clicking repeatedly toggles the "Suspend to RAM" message: on-off-on-off-on-off. It doesn't change the inability to shutdown in less than 30 seconds.

Comment

Are you aware there's a difference between clicking the red icon (=suspend to RAM) and the text (=shut down now)?

Comment

Yes. I've been shutting down Linux for years. ;-)
                      Last edited by doubled; Nov 03, 2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

When you click on K Menu > Leave > Shut Down a pop-up appears which counts down from 30-seconds. There are two options: Turn Off Computer and Cancel. On the Turn Off Computer there is the red Off icon. If you click on that, you toggle between Turn Off Computer and Suspend to RAM. To turn off/shut down your computer, you must click on the Turn Off Computer text.

Comment

It has taken me a while to understand what you are asking, since the "Shutdown" icon is red. and the text to the left "Turn off your computer" is white lettering on a grey background. The overlaying "Suspend to RAM" appears when the red icon is clicked. It is a dark charcoal. Clicking ONLY the text "Turn off your computer" accomplishes the shutdown without delay and without the appearance of "Suspend to RAM." Apparently there has been a change in KDE4 lately: The red "Shutdown" icon invokes the opportunity to "Suspend to RAM" (with an additional opportunity, in the case of ROSA 2012 Beta, to "Suspend to Disk").

This is a significant change, IMHO, in the way "shutdown" is invoked. It's confusing. In order to shutdown, one has to click the TEXT "Shutdown your computer" (or the very tiny arrown between the text and the red icon). That way there is no delay -- or only a momentary delay.

This understanding solves the puzzle for me. Thanks.

Comment

I was 'caught' by this change as well. I figured it out 'by accident' when I clicked on the text instead.

Comment

Same here, I 'accidentally' clicked the button and noticed the new option to suspend.
                              I never thought much about it until I saw this discussion

Comment

Working...
                              X