X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot control screen brightness with kubuntu 12.10 beta 2

And part three of my testing feedback.
    Most of my problems over the years were with linux on the laptop, and kubuntu 12.10
    is no exception. Again, feedback intended in a positive way!

I never was able to control the screen brightness of my Dell Inspiron laptop.
    The quick buttons do bring up the on screen display, but the screen brightness is not reacting.
    I tried fiddling in the past with boot options, did not try it now.
    Too difficult with the gazillion files needed by grub2.
    Is this a bug I should file against kde?
    Not sure.

Yes, Google shows lots of ideas for getting screen brightness to work on Inspirons. Don't be afraid of trying kernel boot options. The procedure is:

1. Using your favorite text editor, open /etc/default/grub with elevated privileges

2. Find the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

3. Place the desired parameters between the quotes. For example:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="alice bob_c=1 foo.bar=0"
    4. Run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 05, 2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Yes, Google shows lots of ideas for getting screen brightness to work on Inspirons. Don't be afraid of trying kernel boot options. The procedure is:

1. Using your favorite text editor, open /etc/default/grub with elevated privileges

2. Find the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

3. Place the desired parameters between the quotes. For example:
      Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="alice bob_c=1 foo.bar=0"
      4. Run
      Code:
      sudo update-grub
      That's all there is to it.
      Steve, you're doing pretty good solving my problems!

I put the following line in /etc/default/grub

Code:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
      And now I can control the brightness of the display using the standard keyboard shortcuts!!!

BTW my laptop is a DELL studio XPS, with nvidea/intel 915 graphics.
      The combination of these graphic cards is apparently the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by John_kubuntu View Post
        BTW my laptop is a DELL studio XPS, with nvidea/intel 915 graphics.
        The combination of these graphic cards is apparently the problem.
        Ugh, is that thing configured with Optimus? I have that on my T520. nVidia Quadro 4200M and Intel HD 3000. No matter how I configure the firmware setting, whether in "Optimus" mode or "discrete," the nVidia binary blob refuses to load. This is a known issue. So I use the Nouveau driver when the laptop is docked, because I need to drive two digital monitors (the Intel chip isn't wired to allow this). When the laptop isn't docked, I switch the graphics setting in the firmware to "integrated" so that I use the Intel driver, which is more stable.

Supposedly full Optimus support with the nVidia blob should be here Real Soon Now...

Comment

It has Optimus under Windows, an Nvidea card plus the build-in intel graphics
          (i5 processor, the last predecessor of sandy bridge, don't know the i9xx umber).
          Since Dell has a locked Phoenix BIOS (to reduce the cost of customer service, had I known before buying it!)
          I cannot switch of the nvidea card or configure anything related to graphics.

Linux uses only use the intel graphic, ignoring the nvidea card.
          I had hoped to be able to switch it completely off to save power, but no sigar :-(
          Perhaps I will physically remove it one of these days :-)
          Basically I choose for a laptop that does not support gaming, but I had to buy the nvidea card anyway

Comment

Well, don't despair. Nouveau already appears able to understand Optimus, but I experience occasional X crashes when I do things like, oh, dial my VoIP phone.

Don't even think about physically removing the nVidia chip. It's most likely soldered directly to the motherboard!

Comment

Working...
            X