This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems cleaning up my system

Ive been going through trying to clean up unnecessary junk from my system the last few days. Ive deleted several unused packages, run bleachbit with and without root, deleted residual config files, run deborphan etc. and after all this, my system is 3 GB heavier than it was. Whats going on here??

What the disk information utilities are telling ? Various applications: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ce-Regenerated
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Perhaps something obvious, but have you emptied the trash folder?

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

For such cases, where you don't know where all the space went, there's a very useful tool: Baobab
        Simply install it from the main repositories.
        You can either look at an entire partition, or just a single folder (e.g. your home folder), and it gives you a detailled pie chart of which folders and files take up how much space.
        Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
        http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
        http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Interesting. Even though it's a Gnome utility, it is extremely light on dependencies:
          The following NEW packages will be installed:
          baobab libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common
          0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

filelight is the similar KDE utility.

Comment

Almost all of this is in /usr. Out of all the disk space used, nearly 87% is in /usr and in /usr /lib /share and /local contain the majority of the data. Heres the readout of xdiskusage for /usr:

Comment

It seems that you have some debug packages installed (/usr/lib/debug...). They are taking almost 1 G (953,3M).
                Have you tried ?

Comment

Sometimes when there is a buggy app it can produce very big log files. They are in /var/log. I had log files bigger that 2 GB. From time to time I also clean .thumbnails folder on /home.

Comment

As many of you know, I'm behind in checking, editing, updating my how-to's at KFN, but, who knows, maybe there's a tip or two in this one that might trigger some ideas:

Privacy Cleanup 101
                    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...cy-Cleanup-101
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
                      It seems that you have some debug packages installed (/usr/lib/debug...). They are taking almost 1 G (953,3M).
                      How do I uninstall unneeded debug packages?

Comment

How do I uninstall unneeded debug packages?
                        ??

Same way you installed them - by your favorite package manager.

Have you tried ?

Comment

Working...
                        X