Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wubi, LiveCD or Install - Mulitple PCs: Won't work...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wubi, LiveCD or Install - Mulitple PCs: Won't work...

EDIT 1: md5 checks all passed. All CD/DVDs used have been checked and found error free. Also, any CD/DVD burnt has of course been burnt at the slowest speed.
    EDIT 2: To be clear, I will not be using Kubuntu further, but I will try to get it working to help any others that may have these same issues.
    EDIT 3: Linux Mint LiveCD also freezes at the desktop. So basically that means it's a hardware issue. Maybe the GTX580.

So far almost everything I have tried to do has failed with Kubuntu. First I downloaded the 32bit distro and tried to install it on an older PC. During the install the installer itself crashed and popped up with a huge error message.

Today, I thought I would try it on my home PC. I figured the easiest way to do this was to download Wubi. Boy was I wrong. Not only did it default the the 32 bit ISO in my downloads folder, but upon removing that ISO it would produce an error saying that it could not download the metalink and therefore the ISO.

So I manually downloaded the 64bit ISO and placed it in the same directory as Wubi. Then apparently everything went off without a hitch. That is until I tried to actually boot into Kubuntu. I was, after some time, met with a black screen and a mouse pointer. Nothing more.

So I reluctantly decided to try burning the ISO to a CD and booting into it that way. It seemed to boot fine and offered me the option to try the LiveCD or to install, I opted for the LiveCD. It then loaded into the desktop and everything became unresponsive except the mouse cursor. Oh my...

Feeling adventurous I rebooted the system and chose the installation option instead. It the proceeded to the section where I choose what hard drive to install too, and how much space to allocate. I however was only presented with the option of one of my four hard drives. I chose the shrink the size to 200 gigs and then proceed. It popped up warning that this operation was irreversible. However, at this point it froze the whole system and prevented me from continuing.

Never in my life have a came across such disaster of a distro. Except for perhaps Ubuntu and it's Unity desktop. I am going to include a fairly detailed listing of the hardware in my computer to hopefully figure out the issue, as I hope this sort of experience isn't common.

Proc:
    3.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    768 kilobyte primary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (6 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Mobo:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Crosshair IV Extreme Rev 1.xx
    Serial Number: 107662070000301
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0502 11/04/2010

Drives:
    ATAPI iHAS424 Y ATA Device [Optical drive]
    WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMATV1975177, rev 05.00K05, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR4 [Hard drive] (150.04 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WMAP41689199, rev 21.07QR4, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAZA0195146, rev 50.0AB50, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 3, s/n WD-WMAZA0194224, rev 50.0AB50, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory:
    6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

Display:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 [Display adapter]
    Acer P224W [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n ETLEA0D030919029698511, May 2009)
    Last edited by jetsirus; Jun 21, 2012, 01:39 PM.

I don't think your hardware is to blame.
    Last year there were some issues with this video card but the present drivers should support it.

I have to continue with an old question, did you do md5 checks on both the download and the burned CD?
    When these are OK you could start by fault finding the reason why you can't get it to start up in the Live Mode, here's quite a bit of knowledge to help you make it work.

Some observations, these days you are much better off making a bootable USB thumb drive instead of a CD and because power user don't generally run WUBI it is hard to get support.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      I have to continue with an old question, did you do md5 checks on both the download and the burned CD?
      Some observations, these days you are much better off making a bootable USB thumb drive instead of a CD and because power user don't generally run WUBI it is hard to get support.
      Yup, I always do md5 checks, and I also use the built in utility to check the cd for errors. Nothing wrong with any of the copies. As the the USB thumb drive, I actually don't have one. Always found them too costly.

Comment

Try the alternate console based install.
        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...nate-amd64.iso
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Try the alternate console based install.
          http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...nate-amd64.iso
          The install completes but I still get the black screen with mouse pointer after the first boot.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsirus View Post
            The install completes but I still get the black screen with mouse pointer after the first boot.
            It looks like your video chip isn't being recognized.

Take the second boot up option and select the run as root in a terminal. When it loads and gives you the command line try
            lspci
            and check to see what your video chip is. Report it here.

Then run
            startkde

and report what error msgs you get.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X