This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to set static IP address in WICD

When using Kubuntu 12.04, I am unable to set static IP addresses in Wicd in either wired or wireless connections. DHCP works fine. I have no problems with Wicd when using Kubuntu 10.04. Using wicd-gtk or wicd-kde does not make a difference. I have removed the following:
    network-manager
    network-manager-pptp
    network-manager-kde
    plasma-widget-networkmanagement

When using a static IP, I can ping the router, but not an internet address. When using dhcp all works well.

Can anyone make a suggestion about how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks to all

Originally posted by monon View Post
    I am unable to set static IP addresses in Wicd
    Your static IP address needs to be set in /etc/network/interfaces

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting...terfaces-file/

Comment

It is not necessary to edit the interfaces file. WICD can be used to manage static IP addresses for network interfaces.
      This works for me using wicd-kde:
      1. click on "use static IPs"
      2. Fill in IP address, netmask, and gateway IP.
      3. Click on "Use Static DNS",
      4. Fill in DNS servers.
      5. Click on "OK" to save settings.

In step 2 be careful to enter an IP address that is not already being used, the proper netmask, and the correct gateway address (typically the address of your router).

Hope this helps,
      Andy

Comment

A little more information to chew on. When you use dhcp your system automatically obtains the DNS server settings from the router, and writes them to the /etc/resolv.conf file, which is where your system looks to determine what DNS to use. If you use a static IP this does not happen, which is why you have to manually specify what DNS to use. That is why you cannot ping an internet address with a static IP if you did not do this.

Interesting aside. I am using a combination DSL modem/router supplied by my ISP which has all of the available LAN IP addresses in the dhcp range. And it won't let you change the dhcp range to free up addresses to be used as static IP's . But it does let you reserve specific IP addresses to a specific device on the LAN. so when I wish to set up a device with a static IP I not only have to set it up on the device, but I have to go to the router and reserve that IP to that device. A PITA. This is important to me because I have two wireless printers and they really need static IP addresses to make installation easier when ever I install a new distro, which is often.

Comment

Thanks to all. The issue is solved. I had failed to set the DNS server address.

Comment

Working...
          X