This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Rekonq be Updated for the LTS?

Will Rekonq be updated during the whole life span of this Kubuntu LTS release?

I noticed there is a newer version out there containing bug fixes but have not seen it trickle into the update manager yet.

You will likely have to have the Kubuntu Backports PPA open to get newer Rekonq versions, unless there are security holes that a newer version fixes. In that case you would receive the updated version in the default PPA configuration.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      unless there are security holes that a newer version fixes. In that case you would receive the updated version in the default PPA configuration.
      Or at least the current version with the security holes patched.

Comment

So basically Kubuntu LTS is gimped from having a proper browser that is integrated with kde for the whole life cycle... unless there is a way to get Firefox KDE integration back?

Unless anyone has recommendations?

Comment

Not matter what the developers do, or the packagers go with, they will never be able to satisfy everyone, what ever direction they go. But so what? If one doesn't like the browser du jour, you just install one to your liking. I've been using, and am quite happy with, Chromium.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
            So basically Kubuntu LTS is gimped from having a proper browser that is integrated with kde for the whole life cycle... unless there is a way to get Firefox KDE integration back?

Again, the Kubuntu packagers have been pretty good about backporting releases (esp. to LTS releases) via the Kubuntu Backports PPA. This also includes future KDE SC releases as well. Will they do this for the full 5-years? I don't know, I would think it depends on manpower.

As an aside, I couldn't imagine using a release for 5 years, given how fast KDE, the Ubuntu base, and free software in general are evolving. The obvious exceptions to this would be deploying Kubuntu in a corporate or academic environment, or if my hardware limited me to an older version. I'm not saying "stay latest and greatest" here, but let me ask you this: Are you using a 5-year old Kubuntu release at present?
            Last edited by dequire; May 10, 2012, 03:59 PM.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

When upgrading to KDE 4.8.3, doesn't that automatically update rekonq, too?

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                When upgrading to KDE 4.8.3, doesn't that automatically update rekonq, too?
                No, as Rekonq is not a core (official) component of KDE SC. Neither is Amarok, for that matter .

As to LTS, there will be regular updates to KDE as in the past, but it is unsure at this point if they will go beyond KDE 4.8.x.

A possible blocker for Rekonq updates will be the webkit and Qt library/qtwebkit versions required for new versions. If these need newer versions than what are available in the main repos, it won't happen as updating these could break other software in the LTS.

The 5 year LTS is a new animal, so what actually happens beyond the previous 3 year lifespan I would say is a big unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  Again, the Kubuntu packagers have been pretty good about backporting releases (esp. to LTS releases) via the Kubuntu Backports PPA. This also includes future KDE SC releases as well. Will they do this for the full 5-years? I don't know, I would think it depends on manpower.

As an aside, I couldn't imagine using a release for 5 years, given how fast KDE, the Ubuntu base, and free software in general are evolving. The obvious exceptions to this would be deploying Kubuntu in a corporate or academic environment, or if my hardware limited me to an older version. I'm not saying "stay latest and greatest" here, but let me ask you this: Are you using a 5-year old Kubuntu release at present?
                  Will there be software in the backports or updates PPAs for Oneieric 5 years down the road? Not likely from previous history, especially as Qt and other core library requirements change.

Comment

I think if someone wants fast and stable web browser which has kde integration (file dialogs etc), he has to use chromium/chrome.

1) Firefox - slow, choppy scrolling, no kde integration.
                    2) Rekonq - crashy, not supporting all sites, not enough man power (developers) to make full blown web browser and to maintain it
                    3) Opera - hmm it just suck for me under linux
                    4) Chrome - stable, fast, smooth (not choppy) scrolling, kde integration.

These are mine experiences. So for me Chrome is the best (only?) choice for "full experience" under KDE.
                    Btw I am using Chrome instead of Chromium because Chrome has more frequent updates, has built in (less buggy) flash and built in PDF reader.

Cheers
                    Last edited by schnelle; May 12, 2012, 02:44 AM.
                    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

So for me Chrome is the best (only?) choice for "full experience" under KDE.
                      My problems with Chrome/chromium are that the more tabs you open the significantly more resources are consumed. This is because each tab runs in its own process. The good side is that if one of them crashes the rest are okay. The bad side is that, well, on a modest machine, your browser is consuming more and more scarce resources. That may not be a problem on a fully equiped pc. The other issue with Chrome is that Google's new policy allows them to harvest data from you if you use their services, sites or applications. Google already has enough of my data, so I'd rather not give them anymore, but that is a personal opinion. On the otherhand, built in flash is very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post

I don't think that LTS means that they will keep updating to newer versions of software, but instead means that they will provide security patches and critical bug fixes to the packages shipped with the LTS version. I could be wrong, though.

Comment

The KDE Goodies PPA contains updated versions of several KDE/Kubuntu applications. For example, rekonq-git was just compiled today.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                            I don't think that LTS means that they will keep updating to newer versions of software, but instead means that they will provide security patches and critical bug fixes to the packages shipped with the LTS version. I could be wrong, though.
                            My parents laptops running Kubuntu 11.04 and my old install of 11.10 still receive updates for Firefox with full KDE integration. It is a shame the LTS release breaks this tradition.

People who aren't linux enthusiasts want a browser that just works and is safe/stable with regular updates to improve/maintain the safety/stability/relevance to the web. Putting out a half baked browser into a LTS release that is suppose to be recommended to goverment, schools, and family with no real optional browsers that have integration is a move that is almost funny. At least a person running windows can install the latest Firefox and it works natively with their system and will continue working for the next decade. Try telling the end user they can't on their "recommended" linux install that is buntu "friendly."

I am all for KDE/Qt aps becoming successful but the reality is this KDE distribution needs Open/Libre Office and Firefox to fulfill the common users needs. When the KDE community has something that actually replaces it then by all means. Till then this is a broken release to the average user who expects an open button that works and brings up the correct program to use the file.

Comment

Security decisions often drive updates even for LTS editions. Lucid currently ships with Firefox 12. I have no reason to doubt that Precise will enjoy similar updates.

Comment

Working...
                              X