This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratchy pulseaudio sound

I have an HDMI cable running from my computer to my TV. After upgrade, the sound coming through the TV when using pulseaudio is scratchy and full of static. When I uninstall pulseaudio and use alsa, the sound is normal. Anybody have any idea why this is happening??

No, but PulseAudio was trying too hard to do things for me and I couldn't control the volume of my mics, or my recordings, or in Skype. So, I stripped every PulseAudio file that didn't threaten to remove my KDE desktop and suddenly KMixer had access to ALL of my sound chip settings and controls, and I (ME!!!) was in control again. Now, my Skype sound is great, Audacity is a joy to use again, and I don't have a noisy mic.

For some folks PulseAudio works fine. But, for my Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05) it does not.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Figured it out. From the Arch wiki (where would we be without the Arch wiki):
      The PulseAudio sound server uses a timer-based audio scheduling instead of the traditional interrupt-driven approach. Timer-based scheduling may expose issues in some ALSA drivers. To turn timer-based scheduling off, replace the line:
      Code:
      load-module module-udev-detect
      in /etc/pulse/default.pa by:
      Code:
      load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
      Then restart the PulseAudio server.
      I dont really like pulseaudio either, greygeek, but its more consistent than the other options.

Comment

Wow! Nice sleuthing!

In the early days of Linux, IIRC, a lot of drivers were timer based (polling) and they caused all sorts of problems and were eventually replaced by drivers using interrupts. Time basing explains a lot of problems I had with PulseAudio, both on previous releases and versions, and on Precise. For the most part PulseAudio worked well, except when I tried to adjust the mic or sound volume in Skype, Google Voice/Talk, Streamtuner2 or in Audacity. Having returned to ALSA with KMixer as the UI to my sound chip I find it to be a lot more user friendly to the way I use my sound.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X