Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the start. Good to know that it is at least possible.
    cheers

EDIT

Admittedly it was a quick search on Google for Rekonq/YouTube issues with only one relevant post found suggesting HTML5 is not being recognised by YouTube perhaps. Now that I have Rekonq installed I'll just sit on this for a while. I've always chromium to fall back on if needed.
    Last edited by bra|10n; May 01, 2012, 01:47 AM.
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

@ bra|10n, thank you for your link but it's for mimetypes, I have already applied this advise successfully. Indeed it's not what I am looking for. I don't understand why we abandon firefox support in Kubuntu, it is a popular and powerful navigator... Even Chakra Linux, a pure KDE distro, integrates very well firefox with a bundle. I thought that it was enough to adapt suse patch for firefox integration in Kubuntu. I am certainly wrong... I'd imagine there are some people who are interested for update this patch or not at all ?

Comment

So you want to be able to choose which application to open a download? This method allows that also.
        Sorry if I'm missing the point

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

For example, dowload a file with firefox, you will obtain these windows after clicking browse button :

It does not open the window (cf my post #4) with apps to choose like a kde app can open or like firefox in Kub 11.10 ...

Comment

Originally posted by ti_tux View Post
            I don't understand why we abandon firefox support in Kubuntu... I thought that it was enough to adapt suse patch for firefox integration in Kubuntu
            One of the goals of Kubuntu is to showcase KDE's application integration. Firefox is not developed with Qt or KDE in mind, so it will never integrate with the destkop as well as a KDE-based browser will. It's good that the KDE folks are concentrating on producing a quality browser.

That said, users who prefer Firefox will always be free to install it.

Comment

Hi Steve...

While I understand that the folks at KDE want to develop their own browser, I still would like to see integration support maintained for Firefox.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I had an issue with linking to external apps as well. I found a workaround, but boy oh boy do I hate it...

1) Install Firefox on both Kubuntu 12.04 and a different Linux.
                2) Configure the Firefox on the other Linux the way that you want it (handlers and all)
                3) Copy over the entire profile folder

This worked for me, but every time you hit somthing new, this is the drill. It positively sucks. I tried messing with the about:me network-protocol-handlers, but I've yet to find a solid way to gain control over this. If anyone can decipher the files in the Firefox profile, perhaps someone could toss together some scripts or a python gui to make the mods a little easier.

I'm sorry, but dropping support for the most popular open source app on the planet does not seem like an intelligent strategic decision. It just puts us all back into work-around mode.

Comment

initially had I tried to do the same by copying over the profile folder from a working debian squeeze installation but it didn't work...
                  jovin's solution (post #2) instead has worked well so far.

Comment

If we let me the choice, it's ok but not whithout the integration that we had before. KDE folks are concentrating on rekonq, it's good. But rekonq often lets me down whereas firefox works perfectly (almost) all the time, in particular with flash... Incredible thing : chromium is better integrated than firefox... no problem with "mimetypes", etc ... and chromium is not a Qt or KDE app so far ! I do not want to change my favorite powerful web browser (when rekonq/webkit will be ok I maybe will reconsider the question...). Sincerly I do not understand, it is like shooting myself in the foot...

Comment

For those running Firefox and willing to experiment, you could manually install the firefox-kde-support package. Choose the correct one for your system:

* 32-bit
                      * 64-bit

After downloading, open a console, switch to the directory containing the download, and run:
                      Code:
                      sudo dpkg -i firefox-kde-support*.deb
                      Don't forget the asterisk! I used that simply to shorten the version/architecture portion of the filename.

Comment

Sweet I will try that out!

Comment

I have already this package installed. It was named kmozillahelper in the past. But it provides no more integration actually....

Comment

hmmm... so there is no point trying it out when I get home??

Comment

Well my latest attempt to use Rekonq as my main browser has been a pleasant surprise. Once the flash setup issues are overcome I find it just as fast and as light as I found chromium.
                              Rekonq's developer posted today that a further 10 bugs were eliminated between versions 0.9.1 -0.9.2 and looks forward to adding a new feature set for the 1.0 release as early as next week.

Comment

I know I got so accustomed to big fat browsers laden with plugins that I'm still finding Rekonq a pleasure, even after many months of regular use.

Comment

Working...
                                X