This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in KUBUNTU 12.04

hey i'm fairly new to kubuntu and i updated it to 12.04 yesterday but there was no sound in 11.04 & as well as 12.04

i've tried using rm to remove pulse audio to detect some settings as told in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1845555 and it seems to work until next reboot

i have a sound blaster 5.1VX sound card and even after trying the rm pulse audio command the rear speakers are not working

i've uploaded the stats to

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a9...04e202d26baf5b

PLEASE HELP !!

if pulseaudio is the culprit, you could try uninstalling it:
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

Comment

If it's just no sound from rear speakers type alsamixer into Konsole and see if rear speakers are muted.
      Press M to mute / unmute
      Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

I came across this a while ago (for PULSEAUDIO):

Go to /etc/pulse and make a backup of daemon.conf first, then find this line (as sudo):

default-sample-channels = 2

And change it to this:

default-sample-channels = 6

Now you’ll need to restart your system (that way the new change you just made will take effect).

After you reboot, test your sound using:

speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -l1 -twav

If you don’t hear audio properly, some of the channels might be muted. To change that, right click on the speaker volume icon in your task bar and select “Open Volume Control”. In the new window that pops up, select Edit” and then “Preferences”.

--- http://www.ubuntulinuxhelp.com/enabl...ntu-804-hardy/
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

This might also be helpful for getting surround sound to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester View Post
            I came across this a while ago (for PULSEAUDIO):

Go to /etc/pulse and make a backup of daemon.conf first, then find this line (as sudo):

default-sample-channels = 2

And change it to this:

default-sample-channels = 6

Now you’ll need to restart your system (that way the new change you just made will take effect).

After you reboot, test your sound using:

speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -l1 -twav

If you don’t hear audio properly, some of the channels might be muted. To change that, right click on the speaker volume icon in your task bar and select “Open Volume Control”. In the new window that pops up, select Edit” and then “Preferences”.

--- http://www.ubuntulinuxhelp.com/enabl...ntu-804-hardy/

thanks to all !! but what does sudo have to do here ? in the conf file ?

Comment

Originally posted by aravind4j View Post
              thanks to all !! but what does sudo have to do here ? in the conf file ?
              He means edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf as root (kdesudo kate) after backing it up (sudo cp /etc/pulse/daemon.comf /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.backup). With the changes he suggested.

Comment

If your system is anything like my system, I took down pulseaudio and use alsamixer to enable the audio.

1. open up terminal, and alsamixer, go to audigy A aka (Analog/Digital Output Jack), and activate it M key on keyboard.
                2. lower right hand icon, unmute speaker and adjust mixer settings also, There is a bug in kubuntu which reverts audio back to defaults so, volume applet, left click and select mixer and under settings, configure kmix, uncheck "restore volumes on login"
                3. in terminal #sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio (without the pound sign) and enter and remove. reboot.

for 5.1 audio just like mines which works fine and i can also record, play games with mic and etc. adjust kmixer, settings, configure channels, and make the volumes appearant which they are not to begin with. Or you can use alsamixer and adjust all front center, rear sub channels. Also, keep all PCM volumes 100 percent but the main pcm which is "pcm" keep at 78 percent since increasing this one to 100 percent causes distortion on mines.

ill post a script i use to auto open and close mic recording for HON which i play with using a mic. could help a newbie.

#!/bin/bash
                sleep 4 && amixer -q set "Mic" Capture 100%;
                sleep 2 && amixer -q set "Mic" Playback 0%;
                sleep 2 && "/home/enter_your_username_here/Installed_Programs/Games/HoN/hon.sh"
                sleep 4 && amixer -q set "Mic" Capture 0%;
                exit

do a amixer command and post the output here so i can look at your mixer levels, etc.
                Last edited by Cresho; May 04, 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

@james147 & arochester : thanx alot guys but rear speakers are still not working !! it works perfectly in the command that you gave but not in amarok or in any players !!
                  @Cresho : i couldn't find the audigy A in both Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	639929 & Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	639930 and i checked the volume levels in many occasions but still no clue
                  Last edited by aravind4j; May 06, 2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Check phonon and see if the device is using the 5.1 profile.

Comment

thanx that was the problem !! solved

Comment

In Alsamixer S/PDIF should be muted.

Originally posted by aravind4j View Post
                        hey i'm fairly new to kubuntu and i updated it to 12.04 yesterday but there was no sound in 11.04 & as well as 12.04

i've tried using rm to remove pulse audio to detect some settings as told in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1845555 and it seems to work until next reboot

i have a sound blaster 5.1VX sound card and even after trying the rm pulse audio command the rear speakers are not working

i've uploaded the stats to

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a9...04e202d26baf5b

PLEASE HELP !!

Comment

Working...
                        X