This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup ,i had the same issue. I reinstalled and the first thing i did was

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current=295.33-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1

and reboot and no crashes since. I have a gt250

Comment

I am having huge amounts of freeze on my Dell laptop with Intel HD graphics. Kubuntu 11.10 worked awesome with all effects enabled.

I am very busy with exams now. I'll try the proposed solution in post 13 afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bumpy View Post
        Also, if the updated Intel driver doesn't work, it might be worth trying the latest 3.4 kernel, which has fixed a number of Intel graphics-related issues, including a memory corruption bug that has affected my laptop for years. You can install the updated kernel by downloading the following packages into a folder:
        . http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...1817_amd64.deb
        . http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...011817_all.deb
        . http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...1817_amd64.deb

After downloading the packages, run the following terminal command from the folder in which these packages reside:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb
        This will install the kernel and add it to your boot menu as the default kernel. The current Precise kernel will remain installed and can be selected at boot using the "Older Linux Versions" menu option.

I hope this helps!
        I've decided to try this first. So far, with the latest 3.4 Linux kernel, the freezes are gone. But, I'll keep testing. Thanks a lot for your help.
        Last edited by geoaraujo; May 05, 2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

There's been a fair amount of Intel graphics work going into kernel 3.4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bumpy View Post
            Regardless, you could always try downgrading to the version in the X Updates PPA (version 295.33) and see if the freezes go away. Enough people are having problems with 295.40 that it might be worth a try.
            I just checked again and I am using 295.40 on Zorin OS 5.2 as well as Linux Mint 12 KDE, yet neither of these suffers from screen freezes??

Comment

I've just had another freeze!

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                I've just had another freeze!
                I just had an update to 295.49 Nvidia driver, maybe that will fix it!

Comment

I noticed that when i change my screen brightness from keyboard that these freezes are most likely to occur

Comment

Originally posted by Nayar View Post
                    I noticed that when i change my screen brightness from keyboard that these freezes are most likely to occur
                    I confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01 View Post
                      I just had an update to 295.49 Nvidia driver, maybe that will fix it!
                      Still freezing so that's not the solution.

Comment

Just received a further update yesterday from the X-SWAT PPA and, touch wood, it seems a hell of a lot better now.

Comment

Didn't have a freeze since 3 days now. Seems like it stoped automatically after adding/removing some packages.

EDIT: Nope. It still freezes
                          Last edited by Nayar; May 14, 2012, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Just had an update to 295.53 from the x-swat archives, they are certainly being busy lately!

Comment

It's a bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/993187

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post

It is really weird, there has been several kernel and driver updates yet it is still happening!

Comment

Working...
                                X