X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to upgrade Kubuntu 11.10 12.04

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!
    I accepted that I could not upgrade to 12.04 from 11.10 when it was in the beta stage. I was hoping that all would be resolved when the Final came out. I went to the kubuntu site, looked at the announcement, followed the instructions for upgrade, and nothing happened. I then tried "do-release-upgrade -d" and yes, I got the "no new release found" message.
    This seems unacceptable to me. Please, do not give this,"A fresh install is better than an upgrade anyway" logic. I do not want to have to backup everything so that i have to burn a cd and go through that whole process. This release should have been ready when released. I hear how great this release is but, how would I know when I can't even upgrade to it. So far, 12.04 is not getting off on the right foot. I am currently unimpressed and a little irritated.

Please calm down . . . KDE is like cutting-edge stuff, and that's why we KDE users are cooler than Xfce users.

I just performed do-release-upgrade and it seems working (though I haven't upgraded my Kubuntu 11.10 yet...I think should wait until this semester ends...my finals are around the corner. As you know upgrading *buntu is exciting yet troublesome since it installs some software I really don't want.)

I understand newly installing your system is the worst senario, and hope someone can help you.

Comment

Try running
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      then
      Code:
      sudo do-release-upgrade
      the -d is not needed anymore as 12.04 is not in development. If that fails try changing your mirror and trying again. Also, I would advise you wait a few days as there are always problems with the initial release not to mention that the ubuntu servers are under heavy load atm.

Comment

I read somewhere that if you upgrade using Muon you should choose "other" in the server option and there should be an option for detect best option for downloading. Apparently the various servers will be pinged in order to give a good option. Another advice was to wait 2-3 weeks for kinks or bugs to be found and dealt with. I always wonder if I'd waited one year ago instead of trying an in-place upgrade right away (when official release became available) then maybe I wouldn't have had the problem I did which was an unusable system. Of course I had backed up. One other advice on that site was to disable 3rd-party repositories before doing the upgrade. But if all available updates were already applied, why does that matter? I suppose doing all this in the console would be preferable but I don't know how to disable 3rd-party repositories that way, or to choose the best available server.

Comment

AM I SERIOUS!
          I feel like an idiot. I went into Muon under software sources, under the updates tab, and where it says "Show New Distribution Releases," I had it marked never instead of normal releases. Shortly after I clicked on the "check for updates," and after it refreshed, the new distro screen came up. I am sorry that I had an rant withouy first checking all of my basis. I haven't updates my laptop yet but, as soon as I get home, i will be upgrading my home pc. Thanks so much for the help.

Comment

I had the same issue. In my case I need to install the muon-updater. I went to check the settings> Configures Software Resources. For some reason my settings were set to only receive LTS updates. I set it to "normal" and lo and behold the notification to upgrade to 12.04 showed up. I'm positive, I never set it this way so there may be a bug in muon-updater.

Comment

Originally posted by Trebacz View Post
              I had the same issue. In my case I need to install the muon-updater. I went to check the settings> Configures Software Resources. For some reason my settings were set to only receive LTS updates. I set it to "normal" and lo and behold the notification to upgrade to 12.04 showed up. I'm positive, I never set it this way so there may be a bug in muon-updater.
              I believe it should be set to LTS for LTS releases and normal for the other releases... though 12.04 is an LTS so should have shown up :S

Comment

Alessandro Menti shares his experiences with the problem "No new release found": https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...il/006043.html
                Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Working...
                X