This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb support

I have installed kubuntu 11.10 on a new system (new asus p8h61-mle csm, old sata 500gb). I cannot get a printer to work (tried 3 new printers, 1 kodak - returned, 2 hp - photosmart 2050, photosmart 5510), I have tried many iterations of adding a printer (system settings and cups), with no printing and many error messages.
    I have googled how to set up usb, and got nowhere.
    I guess it is time to start at the beginning or try a different distro.
    How do I verify that usb is setup and correct?

From System Settings > Printer Configuration click on New Printer and accept Unknown and click on Forward and select your printer from the list and click Forward. In the next list pick the model and accept the recommended driver and click Forward. Complete the next screen(s) and you should be good to go. With your printer connected and turned on you should be able to print a test page. You might have to completely shutdown and reboot afterwards before the printer is actually detected and made available for use. Here, on my HP laptop, I have a very old Panasonic KX-P4410 laser printer which is connected via a LPT to USB cable. Works fine (I am on 12.04, but also have 11.10 and 11.04 installed on the laptop, and they both have the same printer set up and working).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog for your reply.
      However, when I get to new printer, there is no unknown - just other, and it wants the uri. Can't proceed without device uri.

Comment

See my older post that has the 'solution' I used "back then" when my USB printer wasn't being seen by Kubuntu. You may benefit from following the instructions in the linked bug report.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X