This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update failure this AM

The Muon update manager crashed this morning. I attempted an apt-get update/upgrade and received the following results:
    The following packages have been kept back:
    libepub0
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    console-setup cups cups-bsd cups-client cups-common cups-filters cups-ppdc fonts-opensymbol gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 glib-networking
    glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-icon-theme-symbolic keyboard-configuration language-pack-en libapr1 libcups2 libcupscgi1
    libcupsdriver1 libcupsfilters1 libcupsimage2 libcupsmime1 libcupsppdc1 libgail-3-0 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-0:i386 libglib2.0-bin libglib2.0-data
    libglib2.0-dev libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core
    libreoffice-draw libreoffice-emailmerge libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-kde
    libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-za libreoffice-math libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql libreoffice-style-oxygen libreoffice-writer
    libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsoup2.4-1 python-uno ttf-opensymbol uno-libs3 ure yelp-xsl
    58 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/124 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 830 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    Extracting templates from packages: 100%
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    (Reading database ... 55%dpkg: ../../src/filesdb.c:683: findnamenode: Assertion `(*pointerp)->name[0] == '/'' failed.
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly
    jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~$
    The two repair commands:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    and
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    returned the same "... Assertion... failed" message.

Attempting to report this problem via FireFox and Chromium resulted in both of them crashing.

I rebooted and ran them again. They worked, as did FireFox, obviously.

I wanted to post this msg before I tried the update again, in case recovery is not possible.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I had a similar crash a week ago. Ive seen a couple similar reports on Ubuntu forums. There is definitely a problem here.

Comment

I dunno...but with both of my Precise Installs, the hd and the usb, I got the same results.
      The install went fine. Wireless worked, Printer was found, yada yada.
      Then the update. In both cases a very large update. Took like half an hour, stalled at 18 percent in both cases.
      The machine locked up, and had to manually restart, it starts, and I try to do the update again, and it says I don't have administrator privileges.
      I do an update in terminal and it does it and then asks for sudo dpkg --configure -a and I do that.
      The wireless is not shown as working but it is, indeed, working.
      Can't install the printer, but the printer is there.
      Then the whole system starts to collapse, menu items go away, when I try to do something like open FF, which I could do on the live cd and at first before the update, I get:

"cannot open consolekit uuid not set" for anything, like trying to open a wordprocessor.

The system continues to degrade and finally does not function.

Again, as a live system, it workes fine, and before the update it workes fine.

just some comments which may or may not have a bearing on your situation.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

UPDATE:
        After I rebooted my system came back fine and the repair commands performed well.

I shall now redo the Muon update and see what happens.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

UPDATE:
          Muon updated without problems.
          Apparently some package broke between the last update and this, and the repair command/reboot/repair commands cleared things up.

Comment

This system updated OK. I found Muon to be unstable back in December. So, I got in the habit of using apt-get in the terminal. When that's finnished I will open Muon which will often find some item or more to add. Not sure why that happens. It does it without recheck for updates.

Ken.
            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

I've noticed that too, Ken.

Comment

Working...
              X