X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Menubar (Global Menubar) on LibreOffice / OpenOffice

Hi, I'm a new Kubuntu user.

Does your "Window Menubar" (global menubar) work perfectly? Mine does not :-(

Window Menubar doesn't work with my LibreOffice. If you have any idea (of how to enable Window Menubar on LibreOffice / OpenOffice.org.) please advise.

Thank you,
    Culip

p.s. Window Menu doesn't work properly on my Firefox either, though it works perfectly on Gimp and Google Chrome (i.e. other GTK-based programs.) I don't know why...

- Kubuntu 11.10 (64-bit)
    - KDE 4.8.1

It can be made to auto hide. Explore & try its various settings.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
      It can be made to auto hide. Explore & try its various settings.
      Thanks for your advice, but I don't understand what you meant

Comment

Originally posted by culip View Post
        Thanks for your advice, but I don't understand what you meant
        What you call "window menubar" can be set to auto-hide thereby freeing some space you need.

Comment

Do you really know what "Window Menubar" is? It's one of the KDE plasma desktop's widgets. I'm asking about how to enable global menubar on LibreOffice / OpenOffice rather than auto-hiding.

Here's an instruction for Ubuntu which doesn't work on Kubuntu:
          Add Global Menu Support to LibreOffice in Ubuntu 11.04 [Unity]
          Last edited by culip; Mar 18, 2012, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Do you really know what "Window Menubar" is? It's one of the KDE plasma desktop's widgets. I'm asking about how to enable global menubar on LibreOffice / OpenOffice rather than auto-hiding.

Oh, that menu, sorry, I thought for a moment that panel stood in your way. No I can't use that particular widget either. It displays File or Menu only depending on its settings and noting else irrespective of application.

Edit: I mean it doesn't work with Libre Office or for Firefox. Gimp is OK.
            Last edited by rms; Mar 18, 2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I don't use any additional plasma-widgets but I don't think this is possible on any D/E other than Unity. The Unity panel was written with this as a "key feature" in mind.
              I think you could "improve" your situation" to some extent with LibreOffice by combining toolbars, and showing only the options you actually use to save some space.
              Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Thank you guys.

It's a bit surprising for me because Firefox & LibreOffice/OpenOffice are very common applications. I wish I can dissect "Window Menubar" and contribute its improvement someday--I feel it the biggest annoyance as far as I've been using KDE. (In other words, I've been happy with KDE these days )

Comment

This is a late one perhaps but is a partial answer to the question. Firefox doesn't work with Window Menubar if "Global Menu Bar integration" addon is disabled. A mixed bag though...

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                    I don't use any additional plasma-widgets but I don't think this is possible on any D/E other than Unity. The Unity panel was written with this as a "key feature" in mind.
                    I think you could "improve" your situation" to some extent with LibreOffice by combining toolbars, and showing only the options you actually use to save some space.
                    Actually, lo-menu extension works with KDE as well. On my KDE 4.8 desktop, the Windows Menubar widget works very well with firefox, libraoffice or any other gtk+ apps, in the same manner as KDE apps.

With QTCurve theme, Icon Task Manager widget, Windows Menubar widget, I have a uniform appereance in all gtk, kde applications with mac-like menu and dock.

Comment

lo-menubar worked with KDE menubar

Originally posted by ntt2005 View Post
                      Actually, lo-menubar extension works with KDE as well. On my KDE 4.8 desktop, the Windows Menubar widget works very well with firefox, libraoffice or any other gtk+ apps, in the same manner as KDE apps.

With QTCurve theme, Icon Task Manager widget, Windows Menubar widget, I have a uniform appereance in all gtk, kde applications with mac-like menu and dock.
                      Oh yeah, it does! Thank you ntt2005! I installed it by sudo apt-get install lo-menubar then logout & login, and now it works! One minor annoyance is when I launch LibreOffice, the system freezes for 20 seconds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lo-menubar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	640145

Comment

As said, lo-menubar fixes it. There is also a Firefox version. I also go for the global menu effect. I just feel it unifies my desktop. There is something known as appmenu-runner (a krunner plug-in) which means that if you map a runner to say meta+space you can get an effect very much like unity's HUD. I love it and use it all the time to avoid going through menus. I must say, for all the **** that Unity makes you endure, they do some things fantastically!

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=153882

Just as a heads up, QtCurve is amazing but if you want easy gorgeousness with transparency on your desktop try oxygen-transparent.

Comment

Thanks dmeyer.

Although neighter appmenu-runner nor oxygen-transparent seem my favorite (I want to see menus for always, and don't like to see texts on a transparent background), these are quite interesting. I really want to join a KDE meeting to see how other users use KDE.
                          Last edited by culip; Oct 29, 2012, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I understand. You can still have menus but its just an extra way to interface with programs. I use it for quick navigation of programs. It's not everybody's cup of tea.

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of transparency + text, so I don't put a lot of transparency on, just a little for effect.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                              I must say, for all the **** that Unity makes you endure, they do some things fantastically!

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=153882

Just as a heads up, QtCurve is amazing but if you want easy gorgeousness with transparency on your desktop try oxygen-transparent.
                              I actually found Unity implementation buggier than KDE plasma implementation. It is also because of the consistency and bug-free look for all gtk, kde apps that I use QTCurve theme. Fancy effects are overrated in my opinion. You only need a decent looking desktop that works flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                              X