X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to KDE 4.8.1 breaks Firefox / Aptana appearance

Running Kubuntu 11.10 and KDE 4.8.0.

I saw that KDE 4.8.1 was released the other day and specifically noted the accompanying comment below:
    As the release only contains bugfixes and translation updates, it will be a safe and pleasant update for everyone.
    So, I ran sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade.

Afterwards, Firefox and Aptana are beyond ugly.

What got hosed on my system during this "safe and pleasant update for everyone"?

Much obliged for your help...

I noticed after the upgrade that I had to go to System Settings, Application Appearance, GTK + Appearance, and select oxygen-gtk from the drop-down menu to correct the appearance of these apps, hit Apply and re-open Firefox and it should look nice again.

Comment

Originally posted by dtr View Post
      I noticed after the upgrade that I had to go to System Settings, Application Appearance, GTK + Appearance, and select oxygen-gtk from the drop-down menu to correct the appearance of these apps, hit Apply and re-open Firefox and it should look nice again.
      Many thanks for that suggestion, dtr. But it doesn't fix my problem on my desktop or my laptop (I tried upgrading my laptop since the first post with the same results).

Still scratchin' my head.

Comment

I always could select the Oxygen theme so this bug report wasn't matching my situation entirely, but I thought it's worth mentioning...

I came across a bug report at this link:
        https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php...&task_id=28838

And I've tried to follow the Kubuntu-relevant steps from that bug report.

1) Try deleting ~/.config/Trolltech.conf and restarting KDE
        2) Try running some kde app with "- style oxygen" in konsole e.g. "kwrite -style oxygen"

Did #1 with no fix.
        Did #2 and "kate -style oxgyen" works fine. "firefox -style oxgyen" launches firefox, but not styled with oxygen.

Even the bug poster found that the deletion of hte Trolltech.conf file didn't fix his Firefox issues - which is all I ever had.

Any ideas for a solution? To be candid, I don't know what Qt apps are - most of my linux experience is running servers headless. I don't especially want to know.

Whoda guessed a bugfix update would have more bugs :-| and conniptions about config files. :mad:

Comment

My firefox recently updated and the oxygen firefox theme was incompatible with the current version of firefox (theme hadn't yet been updated). I installed a firefox plugin that is supposed to test plugins for compatability and is allowed the oxygen theme to load. Everything was pretty again, after that.

Comment

Check output of "echo $GTK2_RC_FILES" and if it's empty create file "gtk2-default-theme.rc.sh" in "~/.kde/env" with this content:
            Code:
            #!/bin/bash

# Make sure our customised gtkrc file is loaded.
            export GTK2_RC_FILES=$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
            Don't forget to apply chmod 755.

Comment

Hello thinkwell, the same thing happened to me after reinstalling Kubuntu 11.10 and enabling backports...

What I did was to open Dolphin and press ALT, + and - simitanously. Then, I found .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 and copied the file. You paste the file and when Dolphin asks to rename the file, delete the -kde4, so it'll appear as .gtkrc-2.0.

Hope this helps, as it did for me.

TIP: I thought of this solution by trying to get Synaptic to look pretty. What I do is open a terminal and type sudo cp .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 /root/.gtkrc-2.0, and I noticed thatI renamed the file for root as well, so I tried it on my own.
              12 year old KDE and Ubuntu lover. Nothing much...

Comment

Originally posted by macwolf74 View Post
                Hello thinkwell, the same thing happened to me after reinstalling Kubuntu 11.10 and enabling backports...

What I did was to open Dolphin and press ALT, + and - simitanously. Then, I found .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 and copied the file. You paste the file and when Dolphin asks to rename the file, delete the -kde4, so it'll appear as .gtkrc-2.0.

Hope this helps, as it did for me.
                Hey buddies, I just removed the -kde4 from the file name and restarted the firefox. It worked like a charm....

tanks!!

Comment

Working...
                X