Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nvidia-173 is not installing from repos!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia-173 is not installing from repos!

My hardware just works well with nvidia-173. The nvidia-current (295.20) works not so fast. Games like flightgear becomes a cicle go and stop screen. I have used nvidia-173 driver version since hardy, but in precise I could not install it. There is a dependency fault: xorg-video-abi-10. What can I do for this? Wait for new compilation?

My 'lshw' shows:

-memory: 3774MiB
    -cpu: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
    -multimedia: MCP61 High Definition Audio
    -display: C61 [GeForce 6100 nForce 405]

Thanks
    Last edited by alesandro; Mar 07, 2012, 08:34 PM.

Similar problem here for me, except my hardware doesn't seem to go right with nvidia-current. I can't get my two screen setup working (laptop + external screen on vga port). I was able to do it finally on 11.10, albeit with some manual tweaking of xorg.conf, in 12.04beta1 I can't do it. When I launch nvidia-settings it shoes an error message saying "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root), and restart the X server."

But when I did as suggested, I ended up in 640x480 resolution and no possibility to restore the original otherwise than by deleting xorg.conf and rebooting.

I can install nvidia-current, but not nvidia-173 (in 11.10 it was nvidia-current that allowed me to get two screens working I think) . The message when I try to install nvidia-173 is this:

ania@Ptysiaki:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-173
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    nvidia-173 : Depends: xorg-video-abi-10 but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Any help on how to set up my two screens would be more than welcome. If I have to wait till the stable release, that's ok too so long as it will be possible to set up two screens eventually.
    Cheers, Chris.

Comment

As you are using a pre-release version, often the latest kernels and the closed-source drivers are not quite compatible with each other, or simply are broken at the moment. Please see my caveats sticky post at the top of this topic.

There is very little one can do at the moment other than waiting or attempting to build the drivers manually.

Comment

I discovered that decreasing the amount of frame buffer memory from 256 mb to 128 or 64 mb the graphical speed increases!
        Ok, I am afraid that the best driver for my hardware will not become available to precise. It's the first time I'm using a pre-release version. If all the versions of nvidia drivers will be ready in the stable release, no problem. I'll be patient and calm waiting to play flightgear for more 5 years in kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X