This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long-Term Support Question

Is Kubuntu 12.04 affected by the decision by Canonical to no longer financially support Kubuntu? If so, what will that do for the Long-term Support?
    Also, more generally, is this decision better or worse for Kubuntu in total?

From what I understand, 12.04 is still LTS along with its other *buntu brethren.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

All Canonical did was move Jonathan Riddell away from helping with the development of Kubuntu to other tasks. There are ten or eleven other Kubuntu developers and lots of volunteers (and YOU can help if you want to).

Canonical is STILL providing support services for Kubuntu and will continue to support it for the next FIVE years. That's 1 2/3rds computer lifetimes. In 2017 I doubt that anyone knows what the computer landscape will be like, but Kubuntu will be there!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have read most of the threads regarding the recent changes to Kubuntu's status within the Canonical sphere and can see no evidence that the average end user will notice any difference. I have installed Kubuntu on several family members computers and use it exclusively myself. No one can predict the future, not even the all knowing and powerful Micorsoft. In fact, IMHO they are taking an extreme risk with Win8. No, I see no need for any gnashing of teeth or wrenching of garments. I plan to hang tight and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by abear View Post
          Micorsoft...taking an extreme risk with Win8
          Which I have just completely purged from my free Samsung //build/ tablet. Now time to play with some Plasma Active Two builds!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            That's 1 2/3rds computer lifetimes.
            Oh nooooo. My laptop might 'splode next month. O_O
            Kubuntu 20.04
            HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

hehe. Time and 'puters.

Data: She brought me closer to humanity than I ever thought possible, and for a time...I was tempted by her offer.
              Jean-Luc Picard: How long a time?
              Data: Zero point six eight seconds, sir. For an android, that is nearly an eternity.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by tdockery97 View Post
                Oh nooooo. My laptop might 'splode next month. O_O
                It would seem my comp's been a zombie for years now...

Comment

All Canonical did was move Jonathan Riddell away from helping with the development of Kubuntu to other tasks. There are ten or eleven other Kubuntu developers and lots of volunteers (and YOU can help if you want to).

Canonical is STILL providing support services for Kubuntu and will continue to support it for the next FIVE years. That's 1 2/3rds computer lifetimes. In 2017 I doubt that anyone knows what the computer landscape will be like, but Kubuntu will be there!
                  Well that is good to know. I wonder if the decision has something do to with streamlining, and Canonical trying to have the same branding across the board?

Comment

P.S. What can I do if I'm not a programmer/developer?

Comment

Originally posted by teejay17 View Post
                      P.S. What can I do if I'm not a programmer/developer?
                      http://www.kubuntu.org/community/contribute
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X