This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Kubuntu Doesnt Work!

Need help i installed and updated kubuntu it downloaded all the updates successfully but it is stuck at 49% installing packages i leave it to run for another 6 hours but it is still stuck at 49% Some help would be nice kubuntu looks like an nice kde distro

Same thing happened to me but mine stuck at 56%. I guess you are using Muon package manager right?

What I did was: killed the update process of Muon, opened a console and did "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to continue the update process from there...

I don't know if it is a Muon problem due to the large number of updates that have to be installed after the initial installation but on another machine I used console with the commands "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" and all worked smoothly...

Comment

Muon is notorious for messing up upgrades. If all the packages are already downloaded, open up Konsole and type sudo apt-get install -f just to make sure things are done. Post any errors here if they arise.

In the future, whenever Muon notifies you of available upgrades, open up Konsole and type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Just skip Muon for upgrading.
      Last edited by rfakhrai; Feb 03, 2012, 12:12 PM.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

As it happened to several people playing with 12.04 (myself included) it wouldn't surprise me it's during the upgrade of krdc, the remote desktop client, that Muon hangs.
        It should really offer you some options to chose from but isn't able to.

So yeah, do the upgrade from the Konsole with apt-get.

Comment

ok so i need to update the system with terminal commands ok will re-install kubuntu tommorow. Cuz im on opensuse now ( i got tired of gnome 3 its very nice desktop enviroment but im looking 4 something new, i got bored so i want to try KDE) And i think that im going to install KDE 4.8 more easy on kubuntu as in opensuse im 1 hours on it and i still cant install it

so anyway will post back if i get some more errors

thanks 4 the repleys guys or girls

Comment

ah sweet yeeeeeeeeeees everything works super i updated with terminal and installed kde 4.8 its super solid OS man it rools

Comment

Same thing happened to me as well. This was on a fresh installation of Kubuntu 11.10. I just reinstalled and went to konsole and typed these commands:

Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              then

Code:
              sudo apt-get upgrade
              then the installation process on these upgrades went fine.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Code:
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Is a better option to stay up to date.
                No worries, it only upgrades your present distro, not to the next one

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                  Is a better option to stay up to date.
                  No worries, it only upgrades your present distro, not to the next one
                  Thanks

Comment

I just wanted to mention that I had the same issue as the OP. As in, my update was able to download everything and then froze at 49%. This was at some point during the setup of the kdewallet update for me.

The additional warning that I would add is that I made the mistake of closing out the update manager. Parts of the interface had bugged out at this point, so I restarted. What resulted was a completely toasted system. Wireless broke. Touchpad failed. Most of the interface could no longer be used. Shutting down the system required Ctl+Alt+FX, sudo halt. It basically required a reinstall since fixing everything that was borked would have taken hours or days most likely.

My second attempt at installing, I decided to install only some of the updates at a time. About 50-100 packages per update. I've had good results with this in other distros (have had to do it in both Mandriva and Fedora Core at some earlier releases). I had 3 of these micro updates requiring a reboot for 2 of them. The 3rd resulted in a toasted system as well. The kde login manager wasn't capable of logging in forcing me to login from command. However, startx wouldn't work from command line even though x11 worked otherwise, lol. Again, more trouble than it was worth.

Working with Xubuntu for now. Does anyone know if Ubuntu's/Xubuntu's update manager can be installed in Kubuntu without having to install half of the desktop environment? Kubuntu seems to be a happier interface for my netbook, but borked updates is an obvious show stopper.

Comment

There are several package managers, the best one is synaptic that comes with Gnome (Ubuntu).
                      These days Kubuntu defaults to Muon and as you found out it's not quit ready yet but since about a year it is my main package manager.
                      Others are Kpackagekit and Adept.
                      Even with it's issues Muon serves me fine for maintaining repositories or adding some application but for a bigger upgrade the old apt-get in the Konsole is your best bet.
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by springshades View Post
                        I just wanted to mention that I had the same issue as the OP. As in, my update was able to download everything and then froze at 49%.
                        Real similar! It freezes at 48% for me, on my Acer TravelMate 4200. And I started panicking about my processor possibly being so flaky that it can't even run system updates without causing app crashes. And I'm NOT overclocking! (It's a lappy, lol)

Insane! XP Pro SP3 runs fine!

Core Duo "Yonah" T2300 1.66 Ghz (Looks like no EM64T and thus basically a dual core Pentium M lol) with 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM. Also GeForce Go 7300 graphics.
                        (Manufactured in 2006, thus definitely NOT too new for the current kernel and X.Org version)

Likely freezes at the same spot!

Originally posted by springshades View Post
                        Working with Xubuntu for now.
                        Same here. Xubuntu updating was fine.
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP+; Feb 11, 2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

The reason for the freeze around this percentage point is fairly well known, the configuration of an application needs user intervention like choosing to overwrite an existing file or having the default installed.
                          That particular screen is due to a bug in Muon not always shown so it waits forever.
                          By using Synaptic or a terminal you will avoid this problem.

Comment

Hi Teunis,

Thanks, I had a similar problem and your suggested code solved it.

Comment

Deleted, I missed a posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X