This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Installation Ver 11.10 Added users cannot log in - SOLVED

Installed Kubuntu 11.10 on a friend's computer. They want to have two users with separate log-ins.
    I can add the users, but at login they do not appear as choices to log in.

I notice that Kubuntu does not seem to retain the password for second and subsequent users when I go through system settings > User management

What is the secret to allowing added users to log in?
    Volunteer 'buntu installer/support guy

Re: New Installation Ver 11.10 Added users cannot log in

Originally posted by MacDuff
    Installed Kubuntu 11.10 on a friend's computer. They want to have two users with separate log-ins.
    I can add the users, but at login they do not appear as choices to log in.
    you half to type their user name & password .

I notice that Kubuntu does not seem to retain the password for second and subsequent users when I go through system settings > User management

What is the secret to allowing added users to log in?
    in system settings > User management you wont see the password just the option to change it!

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny but I was aware that the password does not appear however even though the original user's password does not appear, the date it was last set does appear. On subsequent users nothing appears.

I tried setting up a second user on my own laptop and and on another test system that I use but I have the same problem so it does not seem to be a hardware issue. The second user does not appear as a log-in choice like it does on Ubuntu and if I enter the second user and password, a message comes up saying that I must create a new password. When I try to enter a new password the entry box will not accept anything but if I keep trying after several attempts it will show dots as I type but when I try to continue, the system freezes and I have to do a power down to re-start.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mac

Comment

Thanks Vinny but I was aware that the password does not appear however even though the original user's password does not appear, the date it was last set does appear. On subsequent users nothing appears.

I tried setting up a second user on my own laptop and and on another test system that I use but I have the same problem so it does not seem to be a hardware issue. The second user does not appear as a log-in choice like it does on Ubuntu and if I enter the second user and password, a message comes up saying that I must create a new password. When I try to enter a new password the entry box will not accept anything but if I keep trying after several attempts it will show dots as I type but when I try to continue, the system freezes and I have to do a power down to re-start.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mac
        AAaaa yes known bug..........ctrl>alt>F1 to a tty ...have the user login their and "change their password " then it will stick and they can login as normal ........ the system whant's a new user to set their own password after their user acct. is made by a Admin. ........

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

yes just added new user........... ctrl>alt>F1 .....login as user ....change password.....exit.....ctrl>alt>F7 to get back to a GUI.......log out........login as user .......works @ hear.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Many Thanks Vinny

I had to repeat the process several times because I tried to use the original password but Linux complained. However it now allows the second user to enter his/her name and password and get into the system.

Is there a way to display the users as per the Gnome login or must users of Kubuntu always enter their name and password? It is not a big deal but I know I am going to be asked when I "fix" their system.

Mac

Comment

the login usually defaults to the last one ........if their's a way to specify a specific entry I don't know it yet

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks much Vinny

I appreciate all the help so I can keep another convert on side

Mac

Comment

Re: New Installation Ver 11.10 Added users cannot log in - SOLVED

System Settings > Login Screen > Users and check Show list
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: New Installation Ver 11.10 Added users cannot log in - SOLVED

Snowhog:

I have played with this and cannot get a selection list at log-in. I have checked the boxes next to the names to be shown and no joy.

Perhaps I am missing something. I will have another look at it tomorrow.

If I can't find out how to create a list of names, it is not a big deal... at least I hope it won't be to the user

Thanks

Mac

Comment

Working...
                    X