• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Initialization error - Muon Package Manager - SOLVED

Kubuntu Natty 64bit
    KDE 4.6.2
    Package Manager Muon

The package system could not be initialized, your configuration may be broken.

Details:

Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2: No such file or directory)

I have the files: status-old and status_backup but not status. While in this condition, I am unable to use a konsole or package manager. How do I correct this? I have tried 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'
    without success. Thank You.

After further research, I found the following commands, which resolved the problem: sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Then: sudo dpkg --configure -a
    This seemed to solve the problem. Hope this helps someone with the same error message.

Re: Initialization error - Muon Package Manager

Close muon, and open a terminal. Try these:

Code:
    sudo touch /var/lib/dpkg/status

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get update
    If any of those give errors, post the error here. If they go through without errors, then try your muon package again.

EDIT: It's not obvious why konsole should not open. However, if you write these commands down, and then use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to the tty console, you can enter them there. Then I would use "sudo shutdown now -r" to restart the system.

Comment

Re: SOLVED - Initialization error - Muon Package Manager - SOLVED

Hello my friend,

You were probably posting when I posted a resolution I found with further research. I suspect the both get the same result. Please take a look at what I did and tell me if I did something that will not make the anticipated happy solution. Since I have done what I have done, I am not confident applying your command will help anymore, and do not want to compound my mistake. Thanks for the additional help and best regards to you and yours.

Comment

the error still appear on me... any other solutions?

update: problem solve, i use muon update manager, choose main server as update source, update and done
        Last edited by Guest; Oct 16, 2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X