This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse pointer will sometimes disappear.

Is this a new feature, bug, or my old hardware? Works fine with Lucid.
    Pointer will come and go as the mouse is moved, usually on a link of some kind. Sometimes it will disappear when a tooltip pops up. Happens with the arrow and finger pointers.

Natty fresh install.

Thanks. Ken.
    Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Re: Mouse pointer will sometimes disappear.

First, I would disable all Desktop Effects and see if your mouse pointer behaves normally. If it does, then some desktop effect is interfering with the mouse pointer displaying correctly.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, a friend with old/slow hardware has seen that behavior, and I can see it kinda "blink out" for a second on mine. It seems to happen with the transition to "hover" over a link or menu selection. I don't know whether it has any relationship to desktop effects or not.

Comment

Thanks guys. Desktop effects are off. In fact they always show as disabled, likely due to old hardware.

Another reason to jack-up the tail light and slide in new cpu and all. Kubuntu is more and more stretching this old machine. If it gets too annoying I'l just switch to LXDE or some such.
        For now it's just a minor annoyance that I can live with.

Thanks. Ken.

Comment

Sorry. Not solved. I took the cowards way out and installed Lubuntu. Lubuntu works fine. Tried Gnome, XFCE, Fedora, even Peppermint which is based on Lubuntu. They all have this problem except Lubuntu.

But, now I have finally updated my desktop with a new build. 64 bit Phenom II X4, 8G RAM, Integrated graphics Radion HD4250. Low end stuff, but a lot better than my old P4.

Now I can run newer than Lucid Kubuntu again.

Interestingly, my old hard drive's 32bit stuff works fine in the new computer. It has 4 Linux partitions and one data partitions. Of course I want 64 bit OSs now.

Kubuntu 11.10 AMD64 failed to boot for some reason so I installed the December 15 daily of 12.04. That works fine, as does Ubuntu Studio 11.10 AMD64. Nice to have extra partitions to play with without breaking the system.

Kubuntu 12.04 works amazingly well for Alpha.

Having fun again.
          Ken.

Comment

Working...
          X