X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Disable all notifications / knotify4

Hello,

I'd like to disable the notification pop-ups in KDE in the lower right corner of the screen completely (or at least all but those for severe errors) in Kubuntu 10.04 because they are very distracting for me.

I already found the options in Start > Settings > System Settings > General > Notifications but there is no option to disable all of them and there are hundreds for all those applications and I'll have to do this on my laptop as well. Is there a way to disable all of them with a single click or command?

I already searched google for it but all the solutions there are for Ubuntu it seems (they suggest to rename the file /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service to <filename>.disabled) and they don't work for me.

I've had a look at the running processes and I guess that /usr/bin/knotify4 is responsible for them but I can't uninstall it because it is part of the package kdebase-runtime according to dlocate.

Can I simply replace the file /usr/bin/knotify4 with a shellscript like
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    exit 1
    or will that cause any trouble?

Thanks for any suggestions,

spirit

Re: Disable all notifications / knotify4

have you tried simply removing the notification widget?.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

You can simply remove the execute permission:
      Code:
      #chmod a-x /usr/bin/knotify4
      You will have to repeat this each time kdebase-runtime is updated

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I removed the execute permissions and it seems to work.

@sithlord48: lol, that would be too easy I guess. But seriously, I have no idea why I didn't try that. I didn't even notice it yet, just the pop-ups. You mean the one with the "(i)" image on it, right? I also removed it now, but since I already removed execute permissions before doing so I'm not sure whether that alone blocks all of these notifications. Could very well be the case though.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Re: [Solved] Disable all notifications / knotify4

yes the (i) one, i checked there just now and you can right click on it enter its settings and right there under the information section there are two checkboxes for popup notices . "application notifications" and "file transfer and other jobs" . im guessing that would have done it . happy to see its solved and working as you like it now .
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X