This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu "hangs" at splashscreen after upgrade to 4.5.4 [SOLVED]

I'm sure this has been answered already, but I just can't get the "right" keywords to appear in the search to find the post.

Just did a fresh install of 10.10 (x86) on my notebook. I did the usual apt-get update and upgrade for packages.

I noticed that I had KDE 4.5.1, so I added the repository to get the updates.

I skipped using KPacketKit and used the command line to do the update

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    I got the notification that several packages were going to be updated, and I let the system have at it.

Once I rebooted, the computer got to the initial "splash screen" where is lists Kubuntu, and the four dots that go from left to right.

and it would just sit there.

So I did the ALT-Prnt Scrn REISUB and rebooted.

Selected normal boot, and system hangs at the exact same spot.

REISUB again, and go into recovery mode to fix broken packages.

I'm notified that there are "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 42 not upgraded".

So I figure I have a broken KDE install.

One (or several) of you fine users once posted the commands to fix this, and I can't remember (or find it!).

You had to run the command several times, until the "not upgraded" column returns a 0.

Thanks!!

update -

tried this advice from Greygeek, but it didn't work. Continues to show 42 packages not upgraded.

You can also use the 2nd menu option (recovery) and boot into a root Console with a network connection. Then issue
    apt-get -f install
    dpkg --configure -a
    repeatedly until both come back with no errors or actions.
    Another update -

tried this advice from the liquidator, get this error back.

apt-get install plasma-desktop
    "Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution, that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. "

then lists some errors with the packages.

Re: Kubuntu "hangs" at splashscreen after upgrade to 4.5.4

At the Grub menu, select the option to edit the selected item, and the remove the quite splash options on the kernel line and then continue to boot. This will show the the 'glory' of the boot process. One of two things will happen. One, the boot will procede normally and you'll be able to login to your desktop. Two, it will hang, and the last message will be informative.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, removed the "quiet splash" and let it go.

It appears to be hung on this..

*Checking battery state... [OK]

Comment

See [SOLVED] kubuntu gui wont boot Reply #2. You'll need to try the solution by rebooting and selecting (recovery mode) and log in to the console prompt. Then shutdown/reboot.

Comment

at the prompt tried

Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          and got the error again that I have requested an "impossible" situation.

since it's a fresh install, the easist thing I guess would be to just frag it and start over?

And for down the road, what's the best way to update KDE? Seems to be that is where my trouble is.

Update -

reinstall complete, I'm back in! This time I'll be careful on how I update KDE. This time I'll just wait for the push to come down from the Ubuntu repository.

Comment

Before you go that route, try running:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install -f
            first.

Comment

Often for me, when having upgraded to these 4.6 betas and RCs, even an apt-get -f upgrade/install didn't help. I've had to install aptitude from booting to a command line with networking and run aptitude -f upgrade/install instead, sometimes opting for the SECOND option of resolving broken packages by pressing "n" for no on the first pass.

Comment

I've been off Kubuntu for a few days trying to figure this out. Yesterday I read that 4.5.5 was out, so I decided to give it a try.

Did a clean install with no network connection. Once the OS came up, I plugged the cable in and let it do the 300+ updates. After the reboot, I had 4.5.5!

But then it wanted to do a few more updates, and I let the system download them. The update crashed halfway during the update, and upon reboot I couldn't get through the boot process (keyboard and mouse were frozen). Booting in "repair" mode also lead to a frozen keyboard mouse combo.

Annoyed, I formatted yet again, but this time left the network connection plugged in.

OS came up, and while I was doing the initial setup, it crashed, and couldn't get it to come up again.

Cursing at this point, decided to install once last time. Noticed it was smoother without the initial internet connection.

Install/reboot/install updates/reboot

Stable computer, with a 4.5.5 KDE

In the future if I need to reinstall Kubuntu I plan to do a clean install (no internet), then let the system download everything at once.

Comment

Working...
                X