This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Desktop Effects won't stay on

Did a clean install this morning. Everything seems fine except desktop effects won't stay on through a reboot. On boot, compositing is turned off, and I have to either do alt-f12 or go into System Settings and click "Enable Desktop Effects" twice. Once I do this, it works fine.

Anybody experiencing this? Does anybody know how to make it stick?

Thanks!

--Rich

Re: Desktop Effects won't stay on

Go to System Setting>Desktop effects>Advanced and check "disable functionality checks".

This helped me.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

I was having the exact same problem he had mentioned (on my new clean installed Kubuntu 10.10) in fact it is the only bug i had encountered on it so far...

The solution you gave worked perfectly! Now i no longer have to turn on the desktop effects manually each time i boot up, the setting now holds...

Thanks

Comment

If disabling checks doesn't work via the gui (it didn't for me) then you may need to edit your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file by setting the "DisableChecks" value to "false" (under [Compositing]).

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye
          If disabling checks doesn't work via the gui (it didn't for me) then you may need to edit your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file by setting the "DisableChecks" value to "false" (under [Compositing]).
          If you set "DisableChecks" to "false", then the checks are enabled.
          To disable the checks and reach the same result as checking "Disable checks", you have to set "Disable checks" to "true".
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

This worked for me, but I keep finding weird glitches.

For example, I set my task switching (alt-tab) to Present Windows. This would consistently lock my system with a GPU hang, until I turned the Blur effect off. Now when I try doing Present Windows, the windows zoom out and then disappear, making it useless. lspci reports this video card:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

I'm hoping there's an update soon for Intel video to fix this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
              Originally posted by molecule-eye
              If you set "DisableChecks" to "false", then the checks are enabled.
              To disable the checks and reach the same result as checking "Disable checks", you have to set "Disable checks" to "true".
              Sorry, that's what I meant

Originally posted by sez
              This worked for me, but I keep finding weird glitches.
              Me too. E.g. clicking on the clock sometimes doesn't reveal the calendar. I have to click it several times (sometimes more than 10!) This doesn't happen when compositing is disabled.

Comment

Just installed the latest KDE updates via Update Manager and now Compositing and all desktop effects are disabled. DisableChecks=true in the kwinrc file. Ideas?

Comment

I renamed the kwinrc file to .bak and rebooted. Had to re-setup effects; however, all is back working. Very odd.

Comment

Okay; here's something interesting. I just updated to KDE 4.5.2 via the PPA on the kubuntu.org site and it looks like the problems with the GPU hang have stopped.

Must've been a bug in KDE rather than a bug in the video driver. Weird.

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Desktop Effects won't stay on

I have the same problem: effects won't stay, but also another one (side effect ?)
                      when I force to restart the desktop effects, all KDE notifications (like the K menu, or the battery popup status etc.) become very dark (and thus harder to read)

Anyone experienced this too ?

Comment

Working...
                      X