X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kde 4.5.1 Login Theme-Solved Workaround

Hi All,
    I cannot Install a new Login Theme in 4.5.1. I click on get new theme and select Install and it seems to Install but the Theme is not there. If I install a login theme from 4.4.5 then install 4.5.1 the theme is there
    and I can use it but when I select install new theme under 4.5.1 the theme doesn't show as being installed.

Is anyone else have this Problem?

Bye the way I found this by Installing Kubuntu 10.04 in my Daughter's computer and then tried to install the Burst Theme

Re: Kde 4.5.1 Login Theme

You need to contact Starwolf, the author of the Theme, and let him know that there is a problem obtaining his KDM Theme from www.kde-look.org. I tried, and experienced your issue. I then attempted to download the actual file, and it also failed to download, thus, the issue.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here Maverick (beta), KDE 4.5.1

At here, this seems to be a permission problem. The Login Screen (KDM) manager needs the root rights to write to the /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/. The Login manager is not asking the password.

Download seems to (?) happen and the installation markings are made to to the ~/.kde/share/apps/knewstuff3/kdm.knsregistry but without root rights the KDE can't write the theme to the right place.

Workaround (at here) is to start the Login Screen (KDM) manager with the kdesudo.

konsole / krunner:
      Code:
      kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm
      [img width=400 height=328]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2334/burst.png[/img]

Links:

> FAQ: Control Centre vs. System Settings ( kcmshell4 )
      > Root Sudo
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131 your work around did the job, I submitted a bug report. Bug# 252201

Comment

Interesting Rog, but it doesn't explain why a direct download from KDE-Look.org didn't work. That isn't a permissions problem, as the download of the .gz file is to my users /home directory.

Comment

I found that if I change the permissions on the usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes
            folder to allow Group to modify content I can install themes

Comment

Re: Kde 4.5.1 Login Theme-Solved Workaround

That should not be required. The /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes folder is owned by root:root, and as long as your user belongs to group admin then you should be able to install new Themes. I'm going to suggest that something else is amiss with your system.

Comment

Re: Kde 4.5.1 Login Theme-Solved Workaround

Originally posted by Snowhog
                That should not be required. The /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes folder is owned by root:root, and as long as your user belongs to group admin then you should be able to install new Themes. I'm going to suggest that something else is amiss with your system.
                Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                X