X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you install KDE3 with Lucid

Hi,

Please don't hate me for asking this, I know people have strong preferences towards kde3/kde4.

Is it possible to completely remove kde4 and install kde3? I have tried several times to use kde4 but unfortunately I can't do it any more.

I have installed Lucid Lynx (10.04), and although I don't like KDE4, it installed a treat and I had no problems what so ever, even with a SATA HD.

Can I keep Lucid and have KDE3 or will I have to return to a previous release of Kubuntu, or possibly switch to Ubuntu?

Many thanks

Re: Can you install KDE3 with Lucid

Huh -- no hate here. Pity, maybe.

You really need to hook up with this fellow: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111357.0

Mr. "no upgrade", meet Mr. "back to KDE 3".

Seriously, why would you want Kubuntu 10.04, when 6.06 is still working so well? AND, 6.06 features KDE 3.5! So, it looks like the perfect solution, right?

Comment

What Dibl said ....

Besides, without KDE 4.4.2 what's the point of Lucid Lynx? LL is built around KDE 4.4.2 and KDE 4.4.2 is where the power and fireworks are.

Perhaps you should try Xubuntu 10.4. If nothing else it is very fast.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Huh -- no hate here. Pity, maybe.

You really need to hook up with this fellow: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111357.0

Mr. "no upgrade", meet Mr. "back to KDE 3".

Seriously, why would you want Kubuntu 10.04, when 6.06 is still working so well? AND, 6.06 features KDE 3.5! So, it looks like the perfect solution, right?
        The reason I wanted the latest Kubuntu is that it supports SATA drives, (so I don't need to set the HDD to IDE) and it also support ext4. Mainly for performance reasons, is I run several vm's and do a lot of file moving.

I think I may try Xubuntu, and if I don't like the interface (as I have never seen Xubuntu in the flesh), do what you suggest and go back to my previous install (Hardy 8.04).

Cool thanks for your response :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          What Dibl said ....

Besides, without KDE 4.4.2 what's the point of Lucid Lynx? LL is built around KDE 4.4.2 and KDE 4.4.2 is where the power and fireworks are.

Perhaps you should try Xubuntu 10.4. If nothing else it is very fast.
          Yep, i think I will try Xubuntu first, and If i'm not keen, go back to Hardy 8.04

Thanks

Comment

That's a good plan! Hardy is an excellent version and there is no law that says one HAS to upgrade to the latest release every time one comes out. I didn't get uptimes on my Linux servers in excess of 400 days by upgrading with every release! (But, I never had 400 day uptimes on my desktop because I enjoyed trying out different distros... fun, fun, fun! 8)

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Can you install KDE3 with Lucid ?
              Yes - this is Linux. There are lot of options.

> Re: Lucid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.4:
              FINAL

Release notes - official announcements
              Another option

> Kubuntu KDE3 Lucid
              The Trinity (KDE3):
              Introduction

A remix of Lucid Lynx has been created with only KDE3/Trinity installed, for the convenience of users who are not quite ready to take the jump to KDE4.x.

The main focus of this remix is to keep the mature, stable, and familiar KDE3/Trinity desktop environment available for easy installation and use. Along the way, various bugs have been fixed, and significant enhancements added--see below for more information. Additionally, upstream development is continuing within the KDE3/Trinity fork of KDE, so you will always have access to a mature, up-to-date desktop environment...

NOTE: Lucid images will be delayed by a couple of weeks to allow for remaining bugfixes to be built by Launchpad prior to CD generation and official release. The Trinity developers thank you for your patience...
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Nice to know. Thanks Rog!
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

... and the "Trinity" is coming (i think) from the feedback. Timothy Pearson was asking if it was possible to release KDE 3.5.11 > Topic: A new KDE 3.5.11 release ?

Date: 2009-11-18 21:19:02

If you don't want to and want to work on a new KDE version with your \
                  patches, you are pretty much on your own though, I'ld suggest you rename it for \
                  clarity in that case. I don't think we can bind the KDE brand to such a version...
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yeah. Read that. Currently, Karmic remix KDE3 is available from his site/repository. He says that Lucid will be a few weeks from now.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow, having your cake and eating it too!

Comment

Working...
                      X