This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't make encrypted partitions during install with 13.04

Since the ALT cd merged into the desktop cd, I haven't been able to create multiple encrypted partitions with the installer.

The guided full-disk encrypted LVM works, but when doing a manual partition setup, selecting the option for an encrypted LVM for a manual partition causes an error and it won't do the install.

This also happened with 12.10 - the first time they merged the various cd versions into the desktop.

in 12.04, I was/am able to do an alt cd setup, select manual setup, and create 3 or more partitions with LVM encryption, each with a different passphrase and then set each encrypted LVM to be /, /home, and /client1, etc

that functionality has been gone for a year now, and it would be nice to have it back within the install itself.

thanks

Originally posted by suplero View Post
    Since the ALT cd merged into the desktop cd, I haven't been able to create multiple encrypted partitions with the installer.

The guided full-disk encrypted LVM works, but when doing a manual partition setup, selecting the option for an encrypted LVM for a manual partition causes an error and it won't do the install.

This also happened with 12.10 - the first time they merged the various cd versions into the desktop.

in 12.04, I was/am able to do an alt cd setup, select manual setup, and create 3 or more partitions with LVM encryption, each with a different passphrase and then set each encrypted LVM to be /, /home, and /client1, etc

that functionality has been gone for a year now, and it would be nice to have it back within the install itself.

thanks
    You need to enter "advanced" mode.

Comment

thanks for the reply.

How do I get to the advanced mode? I don't see any option for entering advanced mode after clicking the icon, and I can't see any menu items that hint at an advanced install.

I also didn't see anyting that hinted at an advanced install from google or the web.

I'm trying to install along side windows too, and the options are either "full disk" or "manual" and manual doesn't do anything other than post the error:

"Keyfile creation failure"
      An error occurred while creating the keyfile.

and
      "Configuration of encrypted volumes failed"
      An error occurred while configuring encrypted volumes.

The configuration has been aborted.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't figure this out! I'm trying to install Kubuntu alongside Win7 on my notebook, and I'd really like to use the encrypted LVM setting, but manual doesn't seem to work (same errors as above), and Guided using the whole disk sounds a lot like it'll nuke the entire drive. Please let me know if you figure this out-

Comment

thanks for the reply.

How do I get to the advanced mode? I don't see any option for entering advanced mode after clicking the icon, and I can't see any menu items that hint at an advanced install.

I also didn't see anyting that hinted at an advanced install from google or the web.

I'm trying to install along side windows too, and the options are either "full disk" or "manual" and manual doesn't do anything other than post the error:

"Keyfile creation failure"
          An error occurred while creating the keyfile.

and
          "Configuration of encrypted volumes failed"
          An error occurred while configuring encrypted volumes.

The configuration has been aborted.
          I think you can't use the normal Kubuntu iso and instead you need to use Ubuntu and then install kubuntu-desktop. I'm not 100% sure but you might be able to use the server install and then install with that and install kubuntu-desktop and in doing so avoid all that unity crap.

Comment

The disk image preview does show it wiping the entire drive - and I have a windows partition I would like to keep too.

This isn't an easy install process for encryption.

Comment

The disk image preview does show it wiping the entire drive - and I have a windows partition I would like to keep too.

This isn't an easy install process for encryption.
              Honestly, Ubuntu is not great at doing encryoted partions. Heck not even Fedora is anymore. Only one distro is really good that and its openSUSE. Nonetheless, you should have come right by selecting manual and doing it on the Ubuntu installer not the Kubuntu one.

Comment

The server install works, but takes a lot longer than a normal install from the kubuntu livecd.

The server cd has the options to configure as many encrypted partitions as needed, just like the old alt installer, and then a quick "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" fills in the rest - and even boots into the kde desktop on the next reboot.

not ideal, but workable.

Comment

Working...
                X