This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Can't pass the login screen

Until yesterday night, everything was fine. I have auto-login setup and everything works. However, tonight I got a login screen instead, and even when I try to give the username and password, the screen would blank for a while, trying to display something, and goes back to the login screen again. My Xorg.0.log shows no (EE) entries, kdm.log shows something interesting, that it can't find my nvidia_current_updates module. So I run `dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current-updates` and reboot. Now kdm.log doesn't show it anymore, but the above problem still exists. I really have no idea what to do now. Attached are my Xorg.0.log and kdm.log to help analyzing the problem. Tell me if other files are needed.
    Attached Files

What does ~/.xsession-error tell you?

Also make sure you don't have any files owned by root or anyone else in your home directory (mostly just the config files).

Comment

What does ~/.xsession-error tell you?
      Xsession: X session started for leledumbo at Wed Jun 6 21:23:18 WIT 2012
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      x-terminal-emulator: Fatal IO error: client killed
      konsole(1598) Konsole::SessionManager::~SessionManager: Konsole SessionManager destroyed with sessions still alive
      Also make sure you don't have any files owned by root or anyone else in your home directory (mostly just the config files).
      Checked: none.

Comment

I've managed to pass the login screen by creating a new user. I still don't know what went wrong, tried renaming .kde and .config to something else to force recreation, but I still can't login with my original user. I'll try checking each of the .xxx files by renaming->try login.

Comment

Finally found the devil, it's .dmrc. After removing it, I can now login normally. I left this in case someone else having the same problem one day.

Comment

Working...
          X