This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox kde integration

so bad that the firefox kde integration was dropped in Precise!
    I can't figure out how to make firefox associate certain file types (pdf, zip, or whatever) with external applications. If I double click on a file in the "Downloads" window an application chooser pops out, but it seems it has no knowledge of MIME types (I tried to set ark as the default application to open zip files and from then on it wanted to open *every* type of file with ark). I found out that in the firefox profile folder "~/.mozilla/firefox/yourprofile/" there is a file called mimeTypes.rdf. Probably there is a way to make file associations through that. If anybody has a solution for this or other integration problems, please share!

Originally posted by sam81 View Post
    so bad that the firefox kde integration was dropped in Precise!
    I can't figure out how to make firefox associate certain file types (pdf, zip, or whatever) with external applications. If I double click on a file in the "Downloads" window an application chooser pops out, but it seems it has no knowledge of MIME types (I tried to set ark as the default application to open zip files and from then on it wanted to open *every* type of file with ark). I found out that in the firefox profile folder "~/.mozilla/firefox/yourprofile/" there is a file called mimeTypes.rdf. Probably there is a way to make file associations through that. If anybody has a solution for this or other integration problems, please share!
    Close Firefox, delete or backup the /home/USER/.mozilla/firefox/SOMETHING.default/mimeTypes.rdf file.
    Open Firefox, download a file -> right-click on it and choose open -> choose /usr/bin/xdg-open
    Now you just have to make Firefox remember how to open the file.
    Done.
    "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

Fantastic! That works thanks!

Comment

And what about this window to choose apps when we download a file with firefox ?

How can we have it again as on kubuntu 11.10 ?

Comment

Support for Firefox is no longer in 12.04.

It is not the same as your post above, but you could look at the following link;

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post292881
          Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

That sucks.... Rekonq is slow, crashes and is not as easy to use as firefox.

ps. It cant even get the book mark icons right for most sites like gmail or youtube.

Comment

While I don't exactly agree that Rekonq "sucks", true it does have some issues currently.
              Personally I would like to see this browser succeed long term.

In the meantime, and being a staunch Firefox fan, I have switched across to chromium to check out the competition. :eek:
              I guess like many I resisted to begin with but I am suitably impressed with it's speed and it's light feel.
              It's not perfect but then neither am I.

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Guys, I urge you to install rekonq-git from the KDE Goodies PPA. Rekonq is getting better fast. It's my primary browser now. Crashes are a thing of the past.

Comment

Flash working for you reliably with Rekonq?
                  Though you have a tweaked flash-install-method from memory and could be the difference?

Comment

No longer needing to tweak Flash, now that 11.2 emerged from beta. Remove whatever version of Flash you have (probably flashplugin-installer) and then:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde

Comment

Ok trying

Result;

kubuntu@kubuntu-Aspire-5750:~$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      Package adobe-flashplugin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                      This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
                      is only available from another source

E: Package 'adobe-flashplugin' has no installation candidate
                      E: Unable to locate package adobe-flash-properties-kde
                      Last edited by bra|10n; May 01, 2012, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Enable the partner repository.

Comment

Ahhh!!! Good catch. Successfully downloading now.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Ok now a couple of things.
                            I had trouble signing in to this site with Rekonq... firstly no save password prompt then several screen refreshes were needed to show that I was logged in.
                            I suspect logging out will be troublesome also...
                            Next, Rekonq has crashed once already since installing. Just checked YouTube also, can hear sound but no video.
                            Any ideas?

Comment

The cache is a bit funky, and I'm not sure if it's a Rekonq thing or something further upstream. I've disabled the cache in the Rekonq configuration settings.

I'm not sure what to think about the sound/no-video thing. Perhaps if you completely clear the contents of the .adobe and .macromedia subdirectories in your home directory? If that doesn't work, you might need to go a-Googling. FWIW, YouTube in Rekonq has worked great for me for some time now.

Comment

Working...
                              X