This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way to play audio CDs

I tried play audio CDs but I can't. I'm used that Amarok doesn't work, but I tried VLC and KsCD and the result is the same. Also Dolphin takes too much time to see the files.

Hmm, I hadn't yet tried a CD so stuck one in, curiouslyAmarok was offered as option but it isn't even installed as I prefer things simple.
    The next option offered was VLC and it worked fine.
    I then installed KsCD and it too works for me.
    Dolphin first rips the audio and that takes time, it crashed on the attempt to find/ download a plugin to play .wav files.

Strangely my favourite media player Smplayer would only play it in one second bursts.

The audio on this laptop is by Intel and the software is ALSA.
    Last edited by Teunis; Mar 02, 2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

In previous versions, VLC and KsCD have always worked with audio CDs, not Amarok. But in this one, neither of them works. I haven't uninstalled Pulseaudio, so maybe it works with Alsa and doesn't with Pulseaudio. I someone else using Pulseaudio tries it, we could know.

Comment

I also have intel audio.
        Amarok working here, no changes to audio setup. Insert audio disk, device notifier pops up with Amarok as an option. CD audio files listed and playable...
        Kubuntu-Restricted-Extras installed...
        Have you tried a selection of discs by chance?
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Amarok works for you playing audio CDs?? Wow, it never did for me in several computers since the first time I tried it two years ago. I tried three discs...

Comment

I tried installing kubuntu-restricted-extras and VLC and KsCD are working now (Amarok doesn't, as always). I don't get it, In the installation I selected install codecs, flash and stuff. When I checked in Muon I had installed kubuntu-restricted-addons... What's the difference with kubuntu-restricted-extras?

Comment

Did you try logging out or restarting? I don't know if it makes a difference in this case, it's just what I do.
              Try inserting an audio cd in the tray and see if this helps Amarok.

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Yes, I did and, as I said this problem with Amarok has happened to me in several computers. Also using other distros like Chakra and openSUSE... And I'm not the only one.

Well, I've done some testing and it looks that KsCD only plays de CD if it's inserted when the system starts... If you insert the CD when the system initialized, it doesn't work. This is really strange. At least I can listen them using VLC...

Comment

I had the same problem. Try using Aqualung.

Comment

Amarok doesn't work for me too. I tried on laptop and desktop. Smplayer did the same with dvds. Kaffeine went fine.

Comment

Are the CD's that you tried originals or are they copies?

Comment

I tried originals.

Comment

I tried originals too.

And I just realize one thing. VLC works but it has to be click on the popup of the device notifier... Well, actually it doesn't to be that way, but if you do use in VLC "Media/Open disc/Audio CD" by default is typed "/dev/cdrom" and I have to chage it to "/dev/sr0", so it's not the most confortable way.

By the way, I tried Aqualung and it works fine.
                          Last edited by moray33; Mar 02, 2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I have also had these issues in the past, but since 11.10 Amarok has worked for me fine. I hope the situation improves for you sometime soon.

Comment

Make sure you're using the latest version of Amarok, and it will work fine. It's a feature that works only on recent versions.

Amarok 2.5 In Backports PPA
                              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                              K*Digest Blog
                              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X