This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Can't get Kubuntu to boot

So I've been running FCxx for quite a while and I'm starting to be displeased with upgrades not upgrading, you want Gnome, no I want KDE, Oh, no your want - open wide...

I'm running 4 SBC all loaded with Ubuntu and not having any problems. So I thought I'd load up my desktop with "K". I have 3 500gb drives. sda=fc24, sdb=myhome, sdc=unused. Down loaded K and dd'ed to a 4gb USB stick, rebooted and selected the stick. Came right up, everything worked so I said "Install" to sdc and it did. Now to my problem when I select where to boot from on startup, sdc, I get a blinking cursor, TL, and 30 minutes later, blink, blink, blink... Did I miss something? Thanks.

If you have a newer computer, and if installing Kubuntu 64-bit, and if you want to install Kubuntu in the UEFI mode, then you might check this checklist of suggested to-do's:
    UEFI Simplified, a quicker version
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
    the section named: Installing the OS in UEFI mode

If you are installing using the older, and still somewhat standard GRUB Legacy, no UEFI, then Boot Repair will probably fix this for you:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

In fact, old or new, GRUB Legacy or not, UEFI or not, Boot Repair will probably fix your boot loader issue.

Unless ... you got a graphical issue (e.g., a driver), and in that case I know nothing (as I always use on-board, integrated Intel graphics).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Looked into Boot Repair - naw. I loaded K over the top of my FC24 drive - is up and working - after REinstalling NVIDIA driver, setting up SSH, VNC, IP, thunderbird and and and ...
      oh, and blacklisting nouveau and ... me forgets...
      Tks

Comment

Glad you got it. Sounds like it may have been the video.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X