This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notifications driving me insane...

I have Radiotray installed and every single time it updates its stream connection, like every 5 seconds, I get a helpful pop-up from KDE. Every time a cookie is removed. Every time, all the time, for every little burp and snizzle of every little app. I'm going insane.

I can't figure out how to kill all these notifications? What do I do to stop this madness? :/

Welll there are a LOT of places in KDE which pop notifications, the list is long and the steps through various parts of KDE in system settings is long.

But...if you are just trying to turn off the "notifications in the tray"...

It USED to be that one would just Right-click on the notifications icon in the panel and select Notification Settings item. Untick it, or them, depending on what is being notified.

Nowadays there is a teensy weens upwardly pointing y "black arrow" if there is no notification active which lists all sorts of things such as KDE Connect, Kopete, whatever and also includes "notifications".

Left click it and you will see a menu box appear, and for this user, "notifications" is at the top.

Left click it and it "should show" "No New Notifications".

Mouse left and right click the little "i" in a circle, and you get two offerings:

"configure event notifications and actions" this offers a detailed set of menus to work through for each and every thing.

and below that you get:

notifications settings.

click it and you get a popup box

labeled:

INFORMATION

below that "show application and system notifications"...UNticking the blue box "should" turn everything off.

In other words you get NO notifications.

The upper offering lets you go through the various things to turn off to tweak it instead of taking a sledge hammer to it.

If that doesn't stop them "at the gate" then we will have to get into listing the places in settings.

woodhopeithelpssmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 16, 2017, 12:11 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Please read my previous thread.

But, chuckle, I am in the middle of recording a "lecture" for submission to an online college and ...turned off the notifications using the method that I posted.

woodchucklesmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

However, KDE connect popped ANOTHER kind of notification, for KDE connect alone so...I had to go to settings etc to turn it off...lol...they are EVERYPLACE!!

But, the initial post will get rid of most of them.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by vtpoet View Post
          I have Radiotray installed and every single time it updates its stream connection, like every 5 seconds, I get a helpful pop-up from KDE. Every time a cookie is removed. Every time, all the time, for every little burp and snizzle of every little app. I'm going insane.

I can't figure out how to kill all these notifications? What do I do to stop this madness? :/
          Well, the solution, if one exists, may depend on your "KDE" version. It maybe helpful to mention that.

It's a pity KInfocenter doesn't allow copy/paste of the information it provides or some sort of export function. Of course, it's probable that it does and I just haven't found it
          Last edited by chimak111; Aug 16, 2017, 07:43 PM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks Woodsmoke. I had already discovered the "Configure Notification Settings" in Settings. I read through every single setting and I either didn't know what I was looking for or it doesn't exist. That is, I couldn't find a way to turn off notifications from Radiotray.

However, I didn't know about the "Information" Setting. That did the trick. I think, like you, I'll have to turn it off and on (or find the particular setting that controls something like notifications from Radiotray.

@ chimak Sorry for my poor table manners:

KDE Version:

Kernel: 4.10.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.4 Distro: Ubuntu 17.04

Comment

any time!
              But, ya gotta remember that I'm just a hardware kinda guy, the other folks here are the smart ones

woosmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Notifications driving me insane...

Woodsmoke, you pointed out the most glaring failure in KDE Plasma design - system and app settings scattered all over the place. It appears that each individual app developer decides where it's config files will reside. Some are in ~/.local or ~/.config or ~/.kde or ~/.share or somewhere in /etc and I can't remember where else. It all should be standardized to the user's home account, say ~/.kde_configs with no settings requiring root access. Ditto for GPU configs. Lockdown for corporate environments would be easy- just mark ~/.kde_configs with root ownership and world read permissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GG.

Thank you for the nice comment.

I have railed about this for years.

And a perfect example of it is what happened yesterday when I was told in ONE MOMENT after clicking to the "third page" in my latest interaction with a college to become an online teacher was...

that I had three (3) days to submit a video of a topic that I would teach online.. A certain minimum time and a certain maximum time.

Welll okaaayyyyy...

The cut to the chase was that I use one of the video recording programs and guess what...i produced a .mkv. mkv is SUPPOSEDLY a "maleable" kind of "universal" format ...

I thought it would produce an MPEG...uuuummm no... it produced the "precursor" to MPEG...

To simplify I had to clip off the ends of the video where I was SELF turning the recording app on and off etc...

I went through EVERY SINGLE VIDEO EDITING PIECE OF SOFTWARE AVAILABLE...

Some of these are "very high end".

Most said...nope don't do MKV.

The few that did were well...each so OBTUSE about the learning curve to "just play the thing and clip off the ends... that it just was not "apparent" how to do it.

The one "universal" palyer / editor, as in just a simple recording of a section...cached out... really...I could adjust the cache to an hour and it stalled at about 3 minutes...

And no, it was not physical memory or processing power, the machine has copious capablilites.

Now this was just amazing to me...I had used the SAME program to edit HUGE...as in YUUUUUGGGEEEE files produced by my GoPro...

Why not this doof thing?

Well, I ended up reshooting the whole thing and had to search through the recording programs to FIGURE OUT...how...BURIED IN layers of menus which ones would produce a simple MPEG.

And guess what...when the recording was about half the original length and in MP4 format...all of a sudden apps that formerly balked then said "i can do that".

But, again... some of them were just so dam@#d OBTUSE . that I couldn't figure out how to do the SIMPLE THING...

I finally got it done using the same app that I used two years ago... but the devs JUST HAD TO CHANGE THINGS...

I really do think that there are two things at work in this.

a) Pride of place...>"I...figured this out...it is MY way...and if you don't like it go away...after all it is free."< AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...it can't be like THAT app over there..."

b) A lot of things have just "grown up like Topsy" OMG I AM RACIST FOR EVEN REFERRING TO HER... and nobody has the time or energy to go back and fix it.

ACCCCTTTUUUUUALLLLLY...I was a develolper for a distro which attempted to RECTIFY just what you mentioned.

Everything in one place, convenient, useable, intuitive.

Unfortunately the main developer became very ill and it all just went away.

woodsmoke
                  Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 18, 2017, 10:05 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Youtube-dl is messing around with the matroska extension as well. It tells me that it can't produce an mp4 but makes the mkv instead. So far, a plugin I use offers all variants and I can choose the mp4 version, which always is the the smallest video file with the best sound.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Woodsmoke, you pointed out the most glaring failure in KDE Plasma design - system and app settings scattered all over the place. It appears that each individual app developer decides where it's config files will reside. Some are in ~/.local or ~/.config or ~/.kde or ~/.share or somewhere in /etc and I can't remember where else. It all should be standardized to the user's home account, say ~/.kde_configs with no settings requiring root access. Ditto for GPU configs. Lockdown for corporate environments would be easy- just mark ~/.kde_configs with root ownership and world read permissions.
                      It's actually pretty well standardized.
                      https://standards.freedesktop.org/ba...ec-latest.html

What might be confusing at first is that KDE used ~/.kde for a long while for config, cache and app data, but ~/.kde is deprecated now for kf5, plasma5 and kde-apps ("KDE5"), and it's only used for KDE4 (and KDE3) apps.

The freshest KDE software has fully adopted the XDG spec (like most non-KDE software has as well) that defines where applications should store their data in the user's $HOME by default (defaults only, can be changed with env variables), and these are:
                      1. ~/.config = configuration files
                      2. ~/.cache = temporary files
                      3. ~/.local/share = application data

~/.share is not used by anything (by default) and /etc is for system wide configuration.

Note that the XDG spec defaults can be changed if there really is a reason for it, usually there isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        Youtube-dl is messing around with the matroska extension as well. It tells me that it can't produce an mp4 but makes the mkv instead. So far, a plugin I use offers all variants and I can choose the mp4 version, which always is the the smallest video file with the best sound.
                        please provide details

thank you !!

woodBLINDEDBYTHELIGHTECLIPSESMOKE
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                        X