This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 17.04 Ready to Work - well, at least in a wired connection

Wireless not confirmed, I got this OS for a new computer I purchased for myself, I put together a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU running on a Asus Prime B350M-A, 16 GB DDR4 Dimm 3000 Mhz (15 CL ), A GeForce
    GTX 1050 Ti for Games and a 1TB Sata 3 6Gb SSD for -XBox Unlocked Steam-, sorry, for Windows 10, and my main distro. Which happens to be the last "stable" release, and you know what, it's running great over the Zen architecure.

Confession: Can't wait to see what happens when the Ryzen Threadripper CPUs become finally available for purchase. I think virtualization (VPS) folks are gonna be getting either those or the lastest Intel i9 Processors.

Back to it, in this version, the building tradition of Ubuntu continues and we can see just as the installation is finished that gcc and build-essential come presintalled, you can run:
    Code:
    apt-cache show gcc
    but I found out that they were installed by actually trying too install them, well, to each their own. I seem to remember build-essential being a dependency for some VMWare software. Other interesting sotware readily available for use just after install are: Libre Office, Kate, etc. Discover is so much faster now, it feels a lot more fluid, a good overall experience, still sudo apt-get install is way faster :P, but I installed Eclipse IDE through there, took it around 5 secs to get it to a stated when the IDE can be launched.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170815_102423.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	649230

Oh you'll have to install 'aptitude' by yourself if you use that tool, something you didn't have to do in Debian. Anyways, I'm very happy with both, my new machine and this version of Kubuntu, the new Plasma desktop looks beautiful, and the dark version is just smooth.

That was my 2 cents, sorry for any bad english.
    xoxo
    Last edited by Jenny T-Type; Aug 17, 2017, 06:49 PM. Reason: add screenshot

Originally posted by Jenny T-Type View Post
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
    good stuff. i hope i'll get the same or at least Ryzen 3 1200 in the nearest future too.
    and the dark version is just smooth
    unfortunately, it doesn't play well with those grey icons in LibreOffice.
    community is what will save us

Comment

Bad English? You write as well as the natives!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by flamboyant View Post
        good stuff. i hope i'll get the same or at least Ryzen 3 1200 in the nearest future too.

unfortunately, it doesn't play well with those grey icons in LibreOffice.
        Well, for gaming I heard nothing but good things about the Ryzen 3 1200, good thing about the 1600 it's is 6 core Hyperthreading, that, in theory, 2 cores in one dimm can be unlocked, so you end up with 8 cores and 16 threads (logical cores), great if you want to run cmake to build entire projects on multiple virtual machines all with git or mercury enabled. for gaming, quick boot and fast browsing the 1200 is more than enough, I would even use the following setup to host a repo.
        Ryzen 3 (Any)
        32 GB of main memory,
        scsi 250 GB x 2 raid0.
        1Gbit ethernet connection
        good bandwidth plan (upload = download).

about the icons, I'm using Oxygen as a desktop theme and the icons looks great for me.

Name:	ko_icons_oxygen.png
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	643581

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Bad English? You write as well as the natives!
        Yay! thanks, I think you're being generous, like to boost my confidence or something, but be warned, you might be helping to create a monster muahuahuahua

where is that "the mouth that won't shut" meme when you need it?.

Comment

Yay! thanks, I think you're being generous, like to boost my confidence or something, but be warned, you might be helping to create a monster muahuahuahua

where is that "the mouth that won't shut" meme when you need it?.
          Well, you may be a "newbie" to KFN but you are obviously not a noob to computers, Linux, programming and gaming!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Well, you may be a "newbie" to KFN but you are obviously not a noob to computers, Linux, programming and gaming!

Name:	giphy.gif
Size:	913.7 KB
ID:	643583
            I don't know how much anime you watch, but generally, (nosebleed == horny_person), so please ignore the fact that she's bleeding from her nose. Thanks

Comment

Well, for gaming ...
              i don't give a damn about gaming. my old desktop might be good enough for me for the next few years if i don't have to render long videos in KDENLiVE from time to time.

about the icons, I'm using Oxygen as a desktop theme and the icons looks great for me.
              that's what i see in the toolbar of Calc. same goes for Writer.
              Attached Files
              community is what will save us

Comment

Working...
              X