This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Conflict

For about a week I have been having problems with trying to update, but important packages were going to be remove. To resolve the problem, I decided to install 17.04 with all the hidden files. I then found that I could add the repository
    Code:
    :~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
    and the system would allow the update of all the packates without removing vital desktop packages.

I then installed Artful and repeated the addition of staging-frameworks and you could say all HELL broke loose, ie
    Code:
    :~$ sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
    Hit:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful InRelease
    Hit:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-updates InRelease                                                                  
    Hit:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-backports InRelease                                                                
    Hit:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful-security InRelease                                                               
    Hit:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks/ubuntu artful InRelease
    Reading package lists... Done                      
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    166 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    libkf5people5 libkf5peoplebackend5 libkf5peoplewidgets5 libkf5unitconversion5 plasma-desktop plasma-runners-addons
    plasma-widgets-addons
    The following packages have been kept back:
    ktexteditor-data kwayland-data libkf5auth-data libkf5bluezqt-data libkf5bookmarks-data libkf5codecs-data libkf5completion-data
    libkf5config-data libkf5configwidgets-data libkf5coreaddons-data libkf5dbusaddons-data libkf5declarative-data libkf5dnssd-data
    libkf5emoticons-data libkf5filemetadata-data libkf5globalaccel-data libkf5i18n-data libkf5iconthemes-data libkf5itemviews-data
    libkf5jobwidgets-data libkf5jsembed-data libkf5kcmutils-data libkf5kdelibs4support-data libkf5khtml-data libkf5newstuff-data
    libkf5notifications-data libkf5notifyconfig-data libkf5package-data libkf5parts-data libkf5pty-data libkf5service-data
    libkf5solid5-data libkf5sonnet5-data libkf5su-data libkf5syntaxhighlighting-data libkf5textwidgets-data libkf5wallet-data
    libkf5widgetsaddons-data libkf5windowsystem-data libkf5xmlgui-data libkf5xmlrpcclient-data
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    libkf5js5 libkf5people-data libkf5texteditor5-libjs-underscore libkf5unitconversion-data qml-module-org-kde-extensionplugin
    5 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 7 to remove and 41 not to upgrade.
    Need to get 959 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 12.0 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
    Abort.
    This is nothing like what I got with 17.04.

Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?

Simple answer is, don't use staging repos, things break there regularly.

There really is no reason to use the staging repos (unless you are actively debugging the problems in the packages)...everything that works in staging repos will eventually get moved to other (stable) repos/ppas. Staging is where package builds are tested to see what breaks...they are *unstable*.

Comment

Our staging PPAs are there for preparing and testing uploads to the ubuntu archive and for backports.

This means that for the development release (artful) they build against the packages in artful-proposed pocket, as this is what our packages build against when we upload for real.

When they build, many packages depend on the version of Qt they build against - esp frameworks as they are basically Qt extensions.

We have Qt 5.9.1 in the archive artful-proposed pocket, while the -release pocket is still 5.7.1. So packages built in our staging PPAs may depend on Qt 5.9.1 packages, which would not be installable unless you also have -proposed enabled (not usually a wise thing).

17.04 staging packages are still building against 5.7.1 in both cases, so they would be ok.

This is one reason why we say NOT to use the the staging PPAs unless you REALLY know what you are doing, and are actively involved in testing for the Kubuntu-devs, as every so often you will hit big issues like this. Or other issues as they are WIP packages.

While Qt 5.9.1 is still in -proposed, there would be 2 options:

(a) enable proposed https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed
      (b) add the CI train landing ppa the Qt 5.9 packages were copied to the archive from https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-...ve/ubuntu/2819
      (c) while the Qt 5.9 transition is not completed, don't try to install packages from staging PPAs that may have built against it.

(a) is not usually advisable for general running, and (b) may work, but as archive packages get updated that could regress. Both I would not advise, but at your risk. (c) would be the sensible option.
      Last edited by acheron; Aug 15, 2017, 02:05 AM.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks VERY VERY much for your considered reply. I have Artful on a separate system that can be sacrificed. Also, I can easily rebuild my system as I am on a Fibre network to my house. So I decided to follow Option (a) and after 426 new packages to install, my system is still working and its status is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Artful_Update.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	643580

I like to try new developments, so when I get stuck, I put my trust in the developers who I find are cautious but on the whole do an excellent job. I am willing to be inconvenienced by a few minor problems by using the proposed repositories. So I encourage the developers to keep up the good work.
        Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 16, 2017, 07:08 PM. Reason: re-wrote without the word problem

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          I am on a Fiber network to my house.
          [me]Is exceedingly jealous![/me]
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            [me]Is exceedingly jealous![/me]
            Oh Dear, some of us have to struggle with these things.

Comment

T ... I am on a Fiber network to my house. ...
              Allo is installing fiber optic all over SW Lincoln and they've installed a connection in my apt, but they haven't lit it up yet.
              I plan to switch from 60Mbps/$65/mo on Spectrum to Allo's 100Mbps/$65/mo when they turn on the signal.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your ISP, your bandwidth and cost for your fiber optic connection?

I see some Austrailian ISPs offering 100Mbps for $70/mo with contract or $229/mo without a contract, and a $160 setup fee plus a charge of 28 cents per Gb, up or down.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My ISP is Internode at: https://www.internode.on.net/. I am on a Gold Plan at $65/month and it is rated at 50Mbps Download and 20Mbps Upload with 100GB/month usage. I have measured the connection speed during on and off peak periods at 47Mbps Download and 19Mbps Upload. In practice I find that the speed is mainly determined by the website and the link speeds.

We also have VOIP and three phones. The connection allows us to have three simultaneous phone calls where each can be on a different phone number.

The setup cost including the fibre termination, which in my case is on the wall of my study, was free. I had to pay for the router and all related phones and router connections. I decided to do the setup rather than get the ISP to do it. They provided documentation on how to do the setup.

Within our home, all computer connections use Ethernet which also rely on a Power Line Adaptor. WiFi is used when friends and family visit and when I shift my trusty laptop to another area.

I hope you are successful with your connection and enjoy the faster speed and also that you get close to your ISP's rated speeds at all times of day.

Comment

Thanks for the info, NoWorries!
                  How did you resolve your problem?
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Thanks for the info, NoWorries!
                    How did you resolve your problem?
                    I was initially wondering what you meant by "problem". So I edited the post where I mentioned "problem" to make it clearer. From that post, I resolved the package problem by doing the following:
                    Code:
                    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
                    I followed this doing the standard:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
                    I should emphasize that this is not recommended by acheron.

I must say that this, Artful with the staging setup is running like a dream. The only problems that I have are:
                    1. I had to install the latest kdenlive as the default would not work with Qt 5.9.
                    2. Kontact works well except on Shutdown. There is an error message relating to it not exiting normally. This I ignore, as it causes no problem.

Comment

Ah! Thanks!

Comment

Ah! Thanks!
                        I am wondering if you have ventured into trying the staging ppa? With the ppas that I have, I regularly get 100 or more packages being updated each day. I am sure that there are many who do not want this package update frequency, but I for one enjoy seeing this progress.

The current status of my Artful system with the staging ppas is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Artful_Aug_24.png
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	643591

From this, I am waiting in anticipation for the final release of Artful, given this status of the staging software.

Comment

I have five PPA's for various packages but I don't plan in installing or testing 17.04.

Comment

I have five PPA's for various packages but I don't plan in installing or testing 17.04.
                            Sorry, I miss-understood as I thought that, since your replies were on Artful which is 17.10, you were trying this and not 17.04.

Comment

Sorry, I miss-understood as I thought that, since your replies were on Artful which is 17.10, you were trying this and not 17.04.
                              That's a typo on my part. I meant 17.10, and I'm not trying that either. I was running 16.04 and planned to move to the 21.04 LTS, but I decided to switch to Neon User Edition about a year ago and it is sort of a rolling update.

Comment

Working...
                              X