This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Screen after 16.04 distribution upgrade

I finally clicked the "upgrade" button in the Update Manager (after years of avoiding it because I knew something would go wrong) and when I rebooted the system after the completed install I ended up with a black screen!

I had been on 14.04 and all updates were current when I tried to upgrade to 16.04, and for the past few weeks 14.04 had been showing GRUB during the startup process and I never bothered to do anything, I just let it run through and boot my machine, everything seemed fine. But, I don't understand why GRUB all of a sudden started showing up on my screen in the last couple weeks after years of never seeing it.

When I booted up the new 16.04 upgrade and the black screen appeared, I pressed ctrl>alt>del and the GRUB list came up so I tried one of the options, and sure enough I was able to boot up and log in; the system was painfully slow so I did an update (~30 or so files) and then restarted the machine. This time, GRUB did not appear and now I have no idea how to boot that 16.04 install.

Currently I am on another install of 16.04 on the same machine, I just went into the bios and changed the boot order.
    I can access all the files on the hard drive of the failed 16.04 install, I just have no information on my screen when I try to boot that install.

I don't have any experience with GRUB so I'd sure appreciate some advice,
    thanks

I'd be surprised if this were a Grub problem.

I do find it strange you don't see the Grub menu when you have a multi-booting ssytem (more than one installation)

The black screen is more likely caused by a video driver problem, a fresh install right on top of the presently failing partitions would be a way of solving this without losing the configurations and files in the /home directory.

Comment

The best path from 14.04 to 16.04 is a clean install, not a direct upgrade. While there could be a few souls who have successfully gone the direct route, in most cases it doesn't work, and is actually not recommended.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        the best path from 14.04 to 16.04 is a clean install, not a direct upgrade. While there could be a few souls who have successfully gone the direct route, in most cases it doesn't work, and is actually not recommended.
        +1

vinny
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X