X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

printer

Hi everybody :-)

I installed a Samsung clp-550N and I cannot choose with which tray I want to print. There is no choice. Please does anybody know how I can solve this problem?
    Last edited by nicrnicr; Sep 29, 2017, 02:59 AM.

Which PPD are you using?

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/...amsung-CLP-550
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek :-)

Thank you very much for your answer!
      Do you mind "Postscript Printer Description"?
      Thank you very much for your link! There are recommended drivers and generic instructions.
      How can I know which PPD I am using please?

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
        Hi GreyGeek :-)

Thank you very much for your answer!
        Do you mind "Postscript Printer Description"?
        Thank you very much for your link! There are recommended drivers and generic instructions.
        How can I know which PPD I am using please?
        http://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-ma...CLP-550&show=0

Save it: /etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-CLP-550-Postscript.ppd
        Set its permissions to rw root and r for the world.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you very much GreyGeek :-)
          I already downloaded this ppd file and it was anyway already in this /etc/cups/ppd/ folder.
          I hope I set the permissions right. Please could you check through the following link (I didn't succeed in uploading the screenshot of the settings)?
          https://happysmilehappy.wordpress.com/
          Please, what should I do next?

Comment

Thank you very much GreyGeek :-)
            I already downloaded this ppd file and it was anyway already in this /etc/cups/ppd/ folder.
            I hope I set the permissions right. Please could you check through the following link (I didn't succeed in uploading the screenshot of the settings)?
            https://happysmilehappy.wordpress.com/
            Please, what should I do next?
            You set your permissions correctly!

Now, run CUPS delete and re-install your printer, choosing the ppd file you downloaded.
            You can also use your browser to run CUPS by using
            http://localhost:631/admin
            in the URL line.

Comment

Hello GreyGeek :-)

Thank you very much for your answer, but:
              In the meantime I had to upgrade from Kubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 my computer which is in a network. The system detected two printers, I choose the less strange. Thereafter I could choose a pilot among two. I choosed the not recommended one because only this one enables me to choose a tray (in the printer settings "folder" of the system settings). This time I can theoretically choose a tray when I want to print, theoretically because it's in grey and I cannot click on it. Would you please have an idea on how I can solve this problem?

Comment

Now, I begin to find it possible to choose a tray before I*print, but what I choose is not what happens. I have to work on it further.

Comment

The correct PPD file makes all the difference!

Comment

Hi GreyGeek,
                    Thank you for your comment.
                    I am again doing what you wrote me above, but I'm not allowed to put something in etc (neither ppd). My rights are indicated here:
                    https://lisbetoiunstlossbeetouieu.wordpress.com/
                    Please do you know what is wrong?
                    PS: Please how can I stay logged in this forum? Each time that I write a message, I have to log in three times approximately because it takes me time to write.
                    Last edited by nicrnicr; Aug 13, 2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek,
                      Thank you for your comment.
                      I am again doing what you wrote me above, but I'm not allowed to put something in etc (neither ppd). My rights are indicated here:
                      https://lisbetoiunstlossbeetouieu.wordpress.com/
                      Please do you know what is wrong?
                      PS: Please how can I stay logged in this forum? Each time that I write a message, I have to log in three times approximately because it takes me time to write.
                      Dolphin is not the printer manager, CUPS is, and you access it using a browser and the URL I posted above.
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu....html#cups-web
                      You will have to enter your user password. First, you'll use the "Add a Printer" button, and follow all the steps.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 13, 2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you again GreyGeek.

I added me with
                        Code:
                        sudo adduser $USER lpadmin
                        Then I could configure cups only after having written
                        Code:
                        sudo service cups restart
                        I choose the driver (something like pxcolor) that seemed to be the best as I tried without CUPS, but
                        - it prints with colors after that I specified black and white. I tried several times.
                        - And I cannot print different parts of a documents as for instance 3-6;11-45;56-57 as it is possible with Windows.
                        The driver and Okular seem to be responsible for this.
                        I will try with another driver and another document viewer.
                        Last edited by nicrnicr; Aug 22, 2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

With the other driver postcript, it prints also with colors when I ask black & white by Okular.
                          Last edited by nicrnicr; Aug 22, 2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I haven't used a color printer since I threw into the trash my HP InkJet printer which used an entire color cartridge to print a single color photo of my grandson, and it wasn't worth the photo paper I used trying.

I doubt that the problem is Okular. I'd look for a better driver.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              ... my HP InkJet printer which used an entire color cartridge to print a single color photo of my grandson...
                              That sounds like a "starter" ink cartridge that came with the printer. The expensive cartridges you buy will have much more ink.

I presume they do this because printer companies sell consumer printers for a small amount, basically just enough to pay the retailers for stocking them, then cream it on expensive cartridges. If the printers had full cartridges, it would be cheaper to buy a new printer just to get the cartridges. I don't blame them for this essentially deceptive practice, consumers are over-sensitive to headline prices.

It makes more sense to get an "office" printer, where one pays a realistic price for the printer, and the cartridges are more reasonable. When I bought my HP our local consumer organization had tested a bunch and the "OfficeJet" worked out cheaper per page in less than 2 years with only moderate use. However, the HP cartridge prices have crept up since then, from $NZ 20 to $NZ 30.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X