This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Kubuntu 16.10 Yakketi Yak on laptop - very nice

ASUS UX305CA 'everything' (well i've not tested everything yet) works out of the box
    - usb works
    - wifi works
    - touch pad works
    - SSD works
    - GPU & display works (of course) - display brightness (applet in the taskbar) works as well
    - sound works
    - dual boot works (GPT install with Windows 10 home)
    - bluetooth works

KDE is still a most functional and usable window manager / environment, the 'classic' menu is *just there*, there is no need to install a separate add on / applet such as 'classic menu indicator' etc.

& the default desktop background image looks nice in Kubuntu too

Great to hear feedback like that. Hop it continues to be good for you.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Yakkety was my first kubuntu distro, it was great, discover needed a rework, too slow, to the point I only used the command line for package deals, I was no change from Debian though, but Debian was terribly outdated, (even testing) No plasma 5 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny T-Type View Post
        ... Debian was terribly outdated, (even testing) No plasma 5 yet.
        Wow! Plasma5 was released in July of 2014. That dates Debian testing to 3 years behind the times.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

...but Debian was terribly outdated, (even testing) No plasma 5 yet.
          Huh?

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/p...p_4:3a:5.3.2-1

plasma-desktop_5.3.2-1_amd64.deb
          Seen in debian on 2015-07-09 03:50:23 in /pool/main/p/plasma-desktop.
          Size: 1539508
          edit: Ubuntu LTS releases are based on a snapshot of Debian Testing; non-LTS releases are based on Debian Unstable.
          Last edited by wizard10000; Aug 15, 2017, 12:47 PM.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

You're right, wizard10000, I should have checked. The current release of Debian Testing contains Plasma 5.8.7

https://packages.debian.org/testing/kde/plasma-desktop
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              You're right, wizard10000, I should have checked. The current release of Debian Testing contains Plasma 5.8.7

https://packages.debian.org/testing/kde/plasma-desktop
              I was talking of jessie stable, if I remember correctly it includes plasma version 4, opendkj 8 only through backports, same with gcc6 , and an external ppa for php7. That's why I switch to Kubuntu, it solve all of those problems from day 1.

Comment

I was talking of jessie stable, if I remember correctly it includes plasma version 4, opendkj 8 only through backports, same with gcc6 , and an external ppa for php7. That's why I switch to Kubuntu, it solve all of those problems from day 1.
                Mmmm.... I haven't installed Debian, even in VirtualBox, in several years, so I assumed (my bad) that you had installed it or ran a LiveUSB and discovered that it was still running Plasma4. However, in your first post you did refer to "testing" and said it did not have Plasma5:
                ... Debian was terribly outdated, (even testing) No plasma 5 yet.
                Now you say you are referring to Debian Stable (which is "Stretch"), and I looked and found it IS running Plasma5, version 5.8.6.

Regardless, you made a great move coming to Kubuntu! And welcome to KFN!

Comment

At yakkety release date - which is what I think jenny was talking about - Debian stable was jessie with plasma 4.
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                    At yakkety release date - which is what I think jenny was talking about - Debian stable was jessie with plasma 4.
                    Yup - that is true.

Sid is also stuck at 5.8.7 now but package maintainers have been really busy with a Perl upgrade in addition to the normal flood of new stuff that happens after a new release of Stable. Before the package freeze Sid was about a week behind Neon and I'm looking forward to getting back in the groove

I do see source code for KDE frameworks 5.37 moving into Experimental now so maybe we're getting some forward motion
                    Last edited by wizard10000; Aug 16, 2017, 05:38 AM.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

It's getting too confusing for me!

Comment

It's getting too confusing for me!
                        Right now apt is offering to remove most of KDE from Sid. Big Plasma5 update coming
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                          Right now apt is offering to remove most of KDE from Sid. Big Plasma5 update coming
                          And Qt 5.9.

Lots of fun on the way:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2017/08/msg00000.html

+ frameworks into experimental
                          Last edited by acheron; Aug 16, 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

But ... I'm already having fun with Plasma 5.10.4 !!!

Comment

But ... I'm already having fun with Plasma 5.10.4 !!!
                              And I'm having fun with a 4.12 kernel

-- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X