This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon - Search not working

I installed the muon package manager to help me find packages. However, when I enter a package name or partial name in the search box, the package list goes blank (under ALL tab).

I searched with apt-get and noticed that there are two packages: 'muon' and 'muon-discover'. Do I need to install both to get it to work or do I have some other problem? I have a new install of Kubuntu 16.04

Mike

Want to do a second search in Muon? Close it and restart it. Pain, I know, but that is the best you can do with Muon for now. I went back to Synaptic. I left Muon installed because a future upgrade will fix it. it is just a matter of time. The Discover package manager is a pain because all the pretty graphics gets in the way. In Synaptic you can open the properties window and there is a "show image" button on it. It works for many but not all packages. And, the image it shows, just like Discover, isn't of the one that gets installed. Take systemd-ui, for example. It shows the image of the Neon version, which is what is available in KSystemSettings (and I don't have Neon in my repositories this time around) but installs the essentially worthless old version.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek,

Oh, so I'm not crazy! Thanks for the reply. I'd read thru some old posts and saw that Discover package manager wasn't he best tool for searching. I'll use Synaptic for now.

This is my first experience with this distro family in my 10+ years using linux. So I'm learning some new tricks.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by deadDrift View Post
        GreyGeek,

Oh, so I'm not crazy! Thanks for the reply. I'd read thru some old posts and saw that Discover package manager wasn't he best tool for searching. I'll use Synaptic for now.

This is my first experience with this distro family in my 10+ years using linux. So I'm learning some new tricks.

Thanks!
        Well, don't be too discouraged with some of the teething problems 16.04 + Plasma 5+ Systemd is having. They'll get sorted out soon enough.
        I experimented with adding the Neon repository on top of 16.04 to get the best of both, but it didn't work out well. As things went on my system got slower and slower. So, a couple nights ago, I reinstalled 16.04 and it is blazing fast again. Not going to add Neon to the repository this time. Xenial still has some problems but I am working them out. One was FireFox turning into a turtle because of the plugin-container. I posted a link to a page on how to tweak FF and it has made a world of difference. No lag, instant display of web pages, no ads, no tracking, etc.... and all without a single add-on or extension. All done through about:config.

Normally all I had to do to configure my HP P1606dn duplex laser printer was turn it on and plug it into a USB port. Not with systemd controlling things. I started Linux in 1998 with inittab, then init.d, then sysv, then upstart and now systemd. Thought i could avoid systemd by replacing it with upstart but that option is no longer possible. I borked my system trying, which is one reason why I reinstalled. The other was the increasing slowness. So, I've decided that a 75 year old dog can learn new tricks so I am going to master systemd and stop whining about it. Back to the man pages!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X