This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Useful Tips for newbies go here

Boot Portable Live USB Linux on Older Hardware "Portable USB Linux distros are wonderful go-anywhere Linuxes for troubleshooting and repair. The catch is older hardware doesn't always support booting from a USB stick-- but there is a workaround called Plop Boot Manager"
    - http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7319/1/
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Tips for Linux Explorers

I just discovered this site, and looks to be an excellent resource for people new to Linux. It begins with an article about ISOs and MD5SUMs and continues from there to help new users come to grips with what is entailed by installing a Linux operating system.

http://www.brunolinux.com/

Sadly, Bruno has since passed away. Some of the articles on the site are a bit dated, but the principles still apply.

HTH
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I Came across this site, or rather a filter. Might be useful for anyone troubleshooting. Good thing that thereś a time filter.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Thank you. Very thoughtful of you to consolidate these resources in one place. Now to pin this post up somewhere handy so it won't scroll over the horizon.

Something *extremely basic* I would like to see added here is simply this: How does one upgrade from, say, V10.04 to V11.04? That's all. The official Kubuntu Help suggests one take advantage of the Notifier when it appears to announce a new version is available. However, if the Notifier has never, ever once appeared, it sort of leaves anyone depending on that method in the lurch. I didn't find anything in the Help section more useful than that. Sort of like waiting by phone for your crush to call - except that she doesn't know your number and she's not telling you hers.

Take care and thanks again for posting this info.

Sorry for being so grumpy.
          Tex
          CPU: AMD-64 dual-core, 2.8 GHz, 4 GiB RAM, <br />Kubuntu: V11.04<br />Kubuntu User: Noob V1.04<br />KDE 4.6.2<br />Dolphin V1.6.1<br />Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Comment

For dialup folks who aren't so eager to download hundreds of megs to check out a program, it may not be obvious that the installation media is loaded with goodies that won't load with muon (in the main menu -> applications -> utilities) or even apt-get (from the commandline) unless you manually modify the sources list in /etc/apt.

BOY! That threw me for a major loop. :-)

Also, on the subject of apt-get, it appears not to always realize when a package is indeed available -- even with the modified config.

Maybe I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong, but finding and getting konqueror to install was quite a run-around.

Sorry no exact documentation of this experience (my modem is in windows and I forgot to pass a file across the Great Divide), but I added "/media/Kubuntu <whatever>/pool" and a space and then "main" to the list of urls.

The path to the Kubuntu name has to be in quotes because it contains spaces.

Anyway, try adding the installation media/pool to the sources list and MAYBE if you install stuff in the right order you won't have to use "dpkg" directly, which I actually do prefer at this point, however. ;-)

Might try synaptic and some other stuff but if they are as weird as the stuff I've seen (click on a deb file in the DVD an select to install it -- talk about uninformative -- "dependencies not satisified" and that's all you get), I might try to whip up yet another alternative.

But I'm rockin' and rollin' at last. Once it's installed it works great.

Thanks for Kubuntu!

:-)

Comment

Wifix- a simple tool to install wifi the correct way under ubuntu &amp; LinuxMint

"WiFix for Linux is a great tool that aims to simplify wireless card detection and driver installation under Linux by downloading, compiling and installing the appropriate driver for a user’s wireless card.
              Wifix, automatically detect and install wireless drivers for a variety of wireless cards. Collect data from working driver configurations, add it to the database and apply the intelligence to the process.
              This tool is actually is still in Alpha, it is available for testing purpose." - http://www.unixmen.com/wifix-a-simpl...-under-ubuntu/

...Could be interesting...
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

thet forum requires registration for viewing??

Comment

Originally posted by arochester View Post
                  "WiFix for Linux is a great tool that aims to simplify wireless card detection and driver installation under Linux by downloading, compiling and installing the appropriate driver for a user’s wireless card.
                  Wifix, automatically detect and install wireless drivers for a variety of wireless cards. Collect data from working driver configurations, add it to the database and apply the intelligence to the process.
                  This tool is actually is still in Alpha, it is available for testing purpose." - http://www.unixmen.com/wifix-a-simpl...-under-ubuntu/

...Could be interesting...
                  Looks like there was an Alpha release and nothing since then (Sep 2010). I'd say the project already likely died, unfortunately.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Wifix, still in alpha.

"Wifix: Simplify Wireless Card Detection and Driver installation Under Linux Ubuntu" - http://ubuntuportal.com/wifix-simpli...inux-ubuntu-1/

Comment

If I missed it, sorry for a repost. This is something for those who shoot first, and ask questions later. I have used it, and it is very handy. When you are new, and just want to start over on a dual boot system, you become anxious, and try to wipe the partition in windows. It leaves grub broken, and without a recovery disk handy, it is a life saver.

The method to fix the MBR is: 1. Boot the machine using the Live USB/CD. 2. Install lilo

sudo apt-get install lilo

3. Fix the MBR using lilo using the command:

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Found it on a mint forum before I did it, knew what I was doing, but was so angry that I lost a days time from my own stupidity. Thank all of you for sharing your knowledge, and time.:thumbup:

from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
                      Kubuntu version 12.04
                      KDE version 4.8.5
                      Computer HP dv5
                      Cpu dual core 2 gig
                      Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                      Ram 4 gigs
                      Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

Comment

Originally posted by jeramyeggs View Post
                        If I missed it, sorry for a repost. This is something for those who shoot first, and ask questions later. I have used it, and it is very handy. When you are new, and just want to start over on a dual boot system, you become anxious, and try to wipe the partition in windows. It leaves grub broken, and without a recovery disk handy, it is a life saver.

The method to fix the MBR is: 1. Boot the machine using the Live USB/CD. 2. Install lilo
                        You can also restore the windows boot loader using ms-sys in linux.

But if you are starting over with a dual boot it is best to just install Linux again rather then messing with the bootloader. The linux live cds are able to delete and recreate the partitions they need. And there is no point in deleting the Linux partition before you are ready to re-install

Comment

Very useful.

Comment

nice post

Comment

I don't know if this has been said, but I would be lost without this

Install ssh or telnet

I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to do 'killall' or 'shutdown -h 0' from my android phone
                              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Very informative, thanks for this. It will definitely help this newb out.

Comment

Working...
                                X