Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah well, I am on bare metal on Unstable. And it wasn't' "broken", only after the update it went bonkers.
    Meaning it reverted to nouveau, and definitely didn't like it.

About the Squids***, I never did install User, I "downgraded" ;·) from Testing.
    Testing I did install, and I seem to remember it Squidded. But I may be wrong.

I did try an install of Unstable lately - it used the Squids - and it epic-failed on toram.

*** Quote from some Don B. Cilly, almost a year ago, who was probably wrong about the distro even then:
    Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Now, Kubuntu's present installer is called Calamares. It means Squids and pretty much behaves as such... just kidding :·)

[EDIT] No, it doesn't mean SQUIDs in the sense of super-conducting quantum interference devices. It means squids in the sense of the squishy things with tentacles :·)
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 20, 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

which Ubiquity does not.
      Well, it can if you run it manually with the -b switch. I think that this undocumented option is still valid. But that's beside the point. The installer is old and Ubuntu really needs to redo it, let alone update the plasma interface to match features with the gtk gui
      Last edited by claydoh; May 20, 2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Well, it can if you run it manually with the -b switch. I think that this undocumented option is still valid.
        Yes it is, but BECAUSE it's hidden it causes the uninitiated user to install GRUB whether they want to or not. This has left more than one system unbootable or at least configured in a way the user did not desire.

EXTREMELY poor programming.

Please Read Me

Comment

Waaayy back in the day. it was optional. in the GUI. At least for Ubuntu, can't find an image of it for Kubuntu.

Comment

Yeah, I remember. I can't imagine why someone decided hiding it was a good idea

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, it can if you run it manually with the -b switch. I think that this undocumented option is still valid. But that's beside the point. The installer is old and Ubuntu really needs to redo it, let alone update the plasma interface to match features with the gtk gui
              undocumented?
              Code:
              $ ubiquity --help

Usage: ubiquity [options] [frontend]

Options:
              --version            show program's version number and exit
              -h, --help           show this help message and exit
              -d, --debug          debug mode (warning: passwords will be logged!)
              --pdb                drop into Python debugger on a crash
              --cdebconf           use cdebconf instead of debconf (experimental)
              --automatic          do not ignore the "seen" flag (useful for unattended
                                 installations).
              --only               tell the application that it is the only desktop
                                 program running so that it can customize its UI to
                                 better suit a minimal environment.
              -q, --query          find out which frontend will be used by default
              -g, --greeter        allow the user to leave the installer and enter a live
                                 desktop (for the initial boot).
              [b]-b, --no-bootloader  Do not install a bootloader.[/b]
              --ldtp               Name widgets in ATK by their GtkBuilder names, to
                                 support LDTP testing.
              --autopilot          Export variables needed for autopilot to drive ubiquity
                                 UI.
              --wireless           Force enable the wireless page, even if network is
                                 available.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...biquity.8.html

and other references that also had mentioned it as undocumented.

manpages are normally the most comprehensive lists of options and switches. Try and find help pages for something you don't have installed

Comment

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...biquity.8.html

and other references that also had mentioned it as undocumented.

manpages are normally the most comprehensive lists of options and switches. Try and find help pages for something you don't have installed
                  I noticed the 'man' page didn't reflect 'b' option.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

I've always preferred LTS releases. I've had problems with bleeding edge projects like Arch or Manjaro. Manjaro KDE was my first KDE distro and my experience wasn't good. Kubuntu Focal is running pretty slick though. If I had another machine I would've given KDE neon a shot (I have tried it via a live USB, would tinker with it in a VM soon). Since it gets the latest applications, I have my doubts whether something would get broken or not!

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                      For one, I use my own grub.cfg. I keep it safe so when update-grub comes along I can easily copy it back to the grub folder.
                      Mine is much smaller and easy to change UUID's.
                      Fantastic, glad to hear it. I beat this drum often on KFN and the grub mailing list, I fear too often.

I wonder why you keep using UUIDs. I use partition labels, they're much simpler, and easy to remember, at the price of having to make sure the labels are good. Here's my grub.cfg code to boot Kubuntu:
                      Code:
                        search --no-floppy --set=root --label "main"
                        linux /@/boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=main ro rootflags=subvol=@
                        initrd /@/boot/initrd.img
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

that is exactly how I installed Kubuntu-18.04 to this ssd that is a "hole disk" BTRFS file system and as such has no space for grub.

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                          Fantastic, glad to hear it. I beat this drum often on KFN and the grub mailing list, I fear too often.

I wonder why you keep using UUIDs. I use partition labels, they're much simpler, and easy to remember, at the price of having to make sure the labels are good. Here's my grub.cfg code to boot Kubuntu:
                          Code:
                          Usually its stated to use UUID instead of device name.
                          Give me the complete menu {} stance please so I can compute.
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            that is exactly how I installed Kubuntu-18.04 to this ssd that is a "hole disk" BTRFS file system and as such has no space for grub.
                            (Presuming you mean "whole", with no partition table.)
                            Where is the EFI system partition? IIUC a UEFI system needs one of those somewhere. (Hmm, I wonder how long that will be the case.)

Grub is quite happy with just the .efi executable in the ESP, and a grub directory somewhere on a btrfs, not necessarily in the default /@/boot. (I use it's own subvolume /@grub, so that I can snapshot it, back it up, etc.)
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Usually its stated to use UUID instead of device name.
                              The "device" names are problematic, because they can change from boot to boot. But, you can control the labels, they won't change unless you change them, so they're an alternative to device names too.

Give me the complete menu {} stance please so I can compute.
                              Code:
                              menuentry 'Kubuntu'  {
                              }
                              Note that:
                              • The rootflags=subvol phrase is specific for booting from a btrfs.
                              • /boot/vmlinux and /boot/initrd.img are sym-links to the latest kernel and initrd, and are maintained by APT when a new kernel arrives. I don't know why Grub doesn't use them normally. Using them means the grub.cfg doesn't have to be updated for new kernels.
                              • Sym-links within a btrfs work everywhere, and they work in /etc/fstab too. I usually keep a grub entry called "ubuntu from link", and just recreate the root and home links if I want to boot to an install I'm testing. (I have to fix up the /etc/fstab to use the links, I haven't found a way to avoid that.)
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                                (Presuming you mean "whole", with no partition table.)
                                Where is the EFI system partition? IIUC a UEFI system needs one of those somewhere. (Hmm, I wonder how long that will be the case.)

Grub is quite happy with just the .efi executable in the ESP, and a grub directory somewhere on a btrfs, not necessarily in the default /@/boot. (I use it's own subvolume /@grub, so that I can snapshot it, back it up, etc.)
                                Well your assuming I have UEFI , I do not on this box .

grub is handled by a different system(Neon-testing) on a different drive and uses an entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom to boot that looks like this

Code:
                                menuentry 'Kubuntu-18.04' {
                                insmod btrfs
                                set root='(hd2)'
                                linux /@/vmlinuz root=UUID=fe385e89-57a5-4632-9823-043a70b67c65 rootflags=subvol=@ ro quiet splash
                                initrd /@/initrd.img
                                }
                                VINNY
                                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                                16GB RAM
                                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                                X