Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, those things run concurrently, not in sequence. This just shows you what takes longest to complete.

Please Read Me

Comment

and you can remove snap completely. AFAIK there's only a couple in use and there are replacements.

Please Read Me

Comment

Have any of you guys completely removed the snaps? By completely, I mean the whole snap thing (every snap application removed, unmounting the snap devices, purging snapd etc.)
        I'm curious what made such boot time difference, since I used snaps, more than what I have installed (I only have the core18 and snapd installed now on Kubuntu), when I used Ubuntu MATE. And the network manager is also taking up time.
        Last edited by selectiveduplicate; May 22, 2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Quite a few of us have.
          If I can manage to install an Ubuntu ISO I have (install failed, like six times))·: I'll try to do some comparisons/analysis on boot times.

I'll probably still want to keep them removed anyway, they really annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by selectiveduplicate View Post
            Have any of you guys completely removed the snaps? By completely, I mean the whole snap thing (every snap application removed, unmounting the snap devices, purging snapd etc.)
            I'm curious what made such boot time difference, since I used snaps, more than what I have installed (I only have the core18 and snapd installed now on Kubuntu), when I used Ubuntu MATE. And the network manager is also taking up time.
            A resounding YES. It reduced the processes running at boot time, but bootup is not that big of a deal to me really.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well I removed everything related to snap, and my boot time has improved comparatively (2 secs only!)...

Code:
              Startup finished in 3.096s (kernel) + 15.947s (userspace) = 19.043s 
              graphical.target reached after 15.938s in userspace

7.075s networkd-dispatcher.service                                                              
              4.852s udisks2.service                                                                          
              4.596s dev-sda6.device                                                                          
              4.451s NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                                       
              4.288s accounts-daemon.service                                                                  
              4.099s systemd-journal-flush.service                                                            
              2.887s polkit.service                                                                           
              2.753s avahi-daemon.service                                                                     
              2.751s NetworkManager.service                                                                   
              2.651s gpu-manager.service                                                                      
              2.463s thermald.service                                                                         
              2.459s systemd-logind.service                                                                   
              2.456s wpa_supplicant.service                                                                   
              2.178s grub-initrd-fallback.service                                                             
              2.104s grub-common.service                                                                      
              1.788s ModemManager.service                                                                     
              1.787s ufw.service                                                                              
              1.784s systemd-resolved.service                                                                 
              1.656s apport.service                                                                           
              1.460s e2scrub_reap.service                                                                     
              1.205s systemd-udevd.service
              Still it should be faster in my experience...

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                A resounding YES. It reduced the processes running at boot time, but bootup is not that big of a deal to me really.
                I don't mind that much either, but the "troubleshooter" in me wants to knock around a few things!

I checked the boot.log too for any suspicious things but found none.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  .. m.2 ssd and a very current i5 laptop...
                  Same for me. Not too interested in boot times. In the blink of an eye, its booted.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Still out of curiosity.

If I run:
                    Code:
                    ~$ systemd-analyze critical-chain
                    The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
                    The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @8.797s
                    └─multi-user.target @8.796s
                    └─postfix.service @8.782s +7ms
                     └─postfix@-.service @7.290s +1.462s
                       └─network-online.target @7.288s
                         └─systemd-networkd-wait-online.service @966ms [COLOR="#A52A2A"]+6.320s[/COLOR]
                           └─systemd-networkd.service @852ms +108ms
                             └─systemd-udevd.service @720ms +125ms
                               └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service @670ms +38ms
                                 └─kmod-static-nodes.service @466ms +135ms
                                   └─systemd-journald.socket @433ms
                                     └─system.slice @384ms
                                       └─-.slice @353ms
                    is it still pretty meaningless as to actual boot times because "they run in parallel anyway"?
                    Because from this, it really looks like: it goes really fast (966ms) up to - and including - systemd-networkd-wait-online.service, then takes 6.320 for network-online.target to run, and another 1.462s for postfix@-.service.
                    After which it zooms again to graphical.target.

Would this be a fair assessment or am I getting this wrong too?

Comment

So - just to try and get some sense of this, mind you,
                      considering that
                      a) I'm assuming things that maybe I shouldn't
                      b) these outputs seem to vary quite a bit with... atmospheric pressure? Planet alignments? I mean, on the same system as before, I now have
                      graphical.target @6.754s
                      compared to
                      graphical.target @8.797s
                      of two hours ago... it's not as if I changed anything... two seconds difference...

Anyway. I managed to install Ubuntu. On the same SSD. (there too, 20.04 is a lot better than the 19.10 I tried last).

The critical-chain there says:
                      Code:
                       graphical.target @13.569s
                      └─multi-user.target @13.568s
                      └─kerneloops.service @13.509s +58ms
                      └─network-online.target @13.504s
                       └─NetworkManager-wait-online.service @5.463s +8.040s
                         └─NetworkManager.service @4.956s +443ms
                           └─dbus.service @4.943s
                             └─basic.target @4.873s
                               └─sockets.target @4.870s
                                 └─[COLOR="#FF0000"]snapd.socket @4.812s +7ms[/COLOR]
                                   └─sysinit.target @4.736s
                                     └─swap.target @4.733s
                                       └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-c988060d\x2dc444\x2d430e\x2db5cd\x2>
                                         └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-c988060d\x2dc444\x2d430e\x2db5cd\>
                      At third boot, mind you, at first boot it was
                      graphical.target @2min 41.340s

But - to the point of the topic - snap impact (on a clean install) is... drum roll... +7ms? There's no other mention of snaps...
                      There is a kerneloops.service (yeah, well, 58ms).
                      Now, of course df -h is a mess. But... df -h has become quite a mess anyway, lately. Even without snap loops, is has tmpfs stuff splashed all over it (bleagh).

So... are we maybe having... much ado about snapthings?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	arrabbiato1.gif
Views:	12
Size:	525 Bytes
ID:	644765
                      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 23, 2020, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by selectiveduplicate View Post
                        The only application that I have installed when I do a search in Muon with "snapd" is snapd-glib. If I use "snap" for the search nothing comes up. If I try to purge snapd-glib, it would remove my kubuntu-desktop as well as pulseaudio packages! So I leave this package installed.

As far as boot time, I did not look into that as I was only focused on getting snap out of my system.

Comment

Other than chromium, are there any other .deb files that surreptitiously install snaps?

Comment

Not that I know. It's just the one so far. Something to do with MAAS (?) maybe next.
                            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                            X